PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I have recently acquired an aged tin of Mac Baren Plumbcake - Navy Blend - "Regular". Many of these tins I see are "Aromatic" but I have not yet seen another one that has Regular where the Aromatic is usually. The tin is 100g, sealed, and was said to be from the mid 80s.
Does anyone know the history of this blend?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I’ve found Plumcake to be an odd blend, some tins are not aromatic at all and others (usually) have a nice sweet topping, not at all goopy, just sweet. I’d open it up and enjoy that well aged tasty tobacco.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
While no history is recounted, the follwing is from the Mac Baren Website:
PLUMCAKE
Plumcake brings your imagination back to the old times when the sailors filled their pipes with good, satisfying pipe tobacco.
This blend consists of carefully selected Virginia tobaccos in a beautiful ribbon cut, Burleys cut as a ready rubbed, some Original Cavendish and finally to top the blend off, a handful of Latakia is added.
All together the different tobaccos add a perfect taste of natural sweetness and a smokiness coming from the Original Cavendish and of course, the Latakia.
It is a full-bodied blend with offers the natural tobacco taste and on top of these excellent tobaccos we have added some genuine Jamaican Rum.
Available in pouch and tins

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Mac Baren plays it pretty fast and loose with their descriptions. Plum Cake is Plum Cake, would be my guess, and if that tin is from the 80s it will probably be delicious.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I guess what confused me a bit is that usually a Navy blend has some rum or such as a topping and then the tobacco is slightly aromatic, which is what every tin of this I have seen says "Aromatic", but to have a tin that says Navy Blend and then has "Regular" on the label is a bit on an oxymoron.....
I was hoping that if is is a rare tin I can sell off the tin after smoking the contents ! :)

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Mac Baren's Plumcake is a Navy Blend and does have Jamaican Rum topping - http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/709/mac-baren-plumcake
Mac Baren does change the tin art of many of its blends more than anyone. As for Plumcake, there are about as many varieties of tins of that one as any other. Here are some pics - https://tinyurl.com/y9nuypxv
Plumcake has been around since the 1950's and is hugely popular and there are tons and tons of Plumcake tins out there. So, your tin is not rare but certainly harder to find than current versions.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Thanks Pipestud, I never realized they had that many varieties! Great to know, now just have to decide when to pop it open :)

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
It will be good. Unique. Enjoy. I’ve had two very aged tins in the past and it ages well.

Status
Not open for further replies.