PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I just received my first order of Seattle Pipe Club: Plum Pudding last week. I could simply say "Amazing" and leave it at that. The tin note was very pleasing, certainly pick out the Lat and Perique. There is a combination of smokiness and earthy scents with slightly fruity undertones. I rubbed it out fully and allowed it to sit for about 45 minutes, this was more out of habit than feeling it was too moist. The first 1/4 of bowl the Latakia stood out the most, to me. Then the Perique kind of snuck in and combined to create a spicy, smokey goodness with muted fruity tastes. The flavors danced over my tongue and delivered a very pleasent tingle. Towards the end of a bowl it mellowed out nicely. This smoked to the bottom, leaving only a trace of dottle. I could not find any bite in this blend even when I really pushed it.

This could quite possibly be the best tasting toby I have ever tried, it is THAT good, to me. I could easily put it in my "go to" choices but will probably think of it as more a treat say once a week. As for room note, I can't say much for myself because I am not a good judge of that when I am smoking the blend but I can report that my wife scrunched up her nose at the tim aroma but thought the room note was ok, not terrible but not fantastic. I highly recommend this blend as I think it is what pipe smoking is all about.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Best Latakia blend I've tried. I haven't tried a bunch of them but it is the best to me.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I find that they are quite similar, but Penzance is the better of the two. Think I will smoke a bowl of each and compare some more :D

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
Have not tried Penzance yet. I will have to put it on my next order. :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Planning on getting some Plum Pudding soon.
Have not tried Penzance yet. I will have to put it on my next order.
I hope you can find it in stock - been hard, of late. It is a lovely blend.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
@Philip: Where around the Puget Sound area have you been able to any of the SPC blends? I've been wanting to try them, but have been unsuccessful in locating them.

pjm03fatboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2011
I got 1 in last week but have not open it Seattle Pipe Club: Plum Pudding going let it cellar for a bit

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
@bytor
The SPC blends are only available at the Tacoma Tinder Box.
I don't think they are listed on the web site, but you can give them a call.

Last I was there, they had Plum Pudding and Mississippi River in bulk and Seattle Evening in tins.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Thanks Philip. Guess I'll have to try and stop in Tacoma next time I'm on my way down to Portland. Can't justify driving the 60+ miles down to Tacoma just for some tobacco.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
pipesandcigar.com have SPC blends in currently out of 2 oz cans of plumb pudding but have 8 oz cans and bulk.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Plum Pudding is a decent enough blend, but in all seriousness Penzance is close to being the last tobacco I would think to compare it to (amongst latakia blends). What distinguishes Penzance to me is the odd oriental/peaty/iodine notes that I pick up through the bowl, while Plum Pudding has little discernible orientals but a nice sweet profile that seems like it might have some type of cavendish. I can hardly think of two more different English blends...But that's only according to MY taste buds -- I'm sure that body chemistry has a lot to do with these things, asl well. In any case, I'm glad you found something you love!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
doctorhoss.....excellent description of the two blends....maybe you should take up posting all your reviews on the LuxuryTobaccoReviews.com site

Status
Not open for further replies.