PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Wallace, NC (near the coast)
Hello. Loading-up finally on past wants & curiosity. I've ordered SPC Plum Pudding Reserve Barrel Aged tobacco & want to know what you kind folks think of this "kitchen sink" blend? Sounds like a winning blend to me... Always the optimist, huh? Thanks, LeRoy

Reactions: autumnfog

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I've not tried the Reserve Barrell but I rather like the standard Plum Pudding.
The Latakia is not overbearing, just the way I like.

One of my favourite "kitchen sink" non-aromatic blends is 4noggins Jesses Own.
Virginia, Maryland, Orientals with Perique and Latakia as condiments. Mild, balanced and very tasty.

KYPiper

Lurker
Aug 28, 2021
I really like the flavor from plum pudding. I got some of the special reserve flake. I do have a really hard time keeping it lit though. I have cut about half of the flakes into shorter pieces and rubbed them out and let it dry out but still have the same issue.

Reactions: jguss

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've not yet any of my barrel tins but I love the Special Reserve. The Latakia is understated and works very well in the blend. The whole thing comes across as lightly smokey with a bit of tangy BBQ.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
When they released their latest rendition, I ordered one of each tins. Too much talk around this series of blend and wasn't interested. So far still on their plain Jane version. It's not a bad blend. It meets all the check boxes, but not very exciting. Had better, and too many not far off. But that's just my opinion.

Reactions: Kal and JOHN72

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
If you've been listening to Brian's "Novice Pipe Smoker" series on the radio show podcast you'll notice that nearly every one of them mentioned SPC's Plum Pudding and for good reason. Many pipers, absolutely love Plum Pudding. Personally, I think its phenomenal.

While I have yet to try the Reserve or Flake versions, I have been enjoying both the regular and barrel aged versions since their release. Both are very well rounded, exceptional blends. I can also recommend Mississippi River and Seattle Evening.

Enjoy!

Reactions: jguss and autumnfog

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Wallace, NC (near the coast)
If you've been listening to Brian's "Novice Pipe Smoker" series on the radio show podcast you'll notice that nearly every one of them mentioned SPC's Plum Pudding and for good reason. Many pipers, absolutely love Plum Pudding. Personally, I think its phenomenal.

While I have yet to try the Reserve or Flake versions, I have been enjoying both the regular and barrel aged versions since their release. Both are very well rounded, exceptional blends. I can also recommend Mississippi River and Seattle Evening.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the cheers on SPC Plum Pudding. Others were not too crazy 'bout the stuff. But, to each his own... LeRoy

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I haven't smoked the standard Plum Pudding so I can't compare it to that. I like it but for me it's a heavy yet flavorful smoke. Not sure why it feels so thick and heavy. It may be that it's a bit on the wet side or something. I smoke it occasionally after a big meal with red wine but I don't think I could use it as an every day smoke..... and I also find it similar to Penzance.

Reactions: JOHN72

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I enjoy both Plum Pudding and the Plum Pudding Special Reserve (stocked up good on both of those). I didn’t really like the new Special Reserve Flake. Might have to revisit it to give it another shot.