PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
I second the Wessex Gold Brick. I have tried all of the ropes from Gawith and G&H but the maple and have liked them all but the Black XX, it tasted like smoking road tar. I especially liked the Brown Bogie, #4 with rum and the coconut twist.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I've got about 3.5oz of Gawith Hoggarth's Rum Twist rope.
From the description:
This is a twist made from the same ingredients as the Black and Brown Irish X. It has additional Rum flavoring added during manufacture. Again, this is a very strong tobacco as it does not undergo the pressure cooking process.
It needs some dry time, and it does bring a nicotine punch to the party, especially if you're not all that well acquainted with vitamin n :)
That being said, I find it quite a nice smoke that requires some babying. It'll burn for a good solid hour too and has a great tin note. Outdoors, no one complained of the smell ... no one complimented the smell either. When I've polished off my supply, I'll certainly be ordering more.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Hey Charlie (trailBoss)check out the Tabacco Review section. As promised it is done.
wishing you all good smoking
John

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Has anyone smoked that new brand of plug called 'Owl Pellets as its meant to be really good and I have not got my hands on any yet.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I am hanging out to try a good rope or plug etc.. however I want the first one to get me interested in trying them further. I like sweet smelling and taste but anything peppery forget it, I don't like pepper or spicy in food or tobacco. My ultimate would be a medium to strong bodied sweet smelling and tasting cake or rope. Yet to find one and that's the only reason I am yet to try Ropes and Plugs, Cake, Flake. But I am dying to try a decent one as I find Im looking for a stronger smoke in the evening, can anyone suggest a rope for me to try, as I mentioned above Im thinking of trying a Brown Rope called Sweet Whiskey. Give me a couple of names and blends to get samples of please.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
went looking at some ropes and plug and found most of them are an aromatic. Is there plugs and ropes that are non - aromatic?
thx

John

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
... plugs and ropes that are non - aromatic?
Here's a few:
SG Brown No. 4 Kendal Twist

SG Black XX

GH Brown Bogie

Motzek Strang

Tambolaka
GLP JackKnife

GLP Triple Play

GLP Gaslight

C&D Chenet's Cake

C&D Joie de Vivre

C&D Oak Alley

C&D Pirate Kake

C&D Kajun Kake

C&D Briar Fox

Captain Earle's Ten Russians

Oct 12, 2014
'looking at some ropes and plug and found most of them are an aromatic. Is there plugs and ropes that are non - aromatic?'
They maybe labeled as "aromatic" but that's using that term very loosely..they are nothing at all like a 1q or any other lane/sutliff concoction. Not even in the same world..

Oct 12, 2014
Yes, very light. I smoke ropes almost exclusively and lately have been bouncing between G&H Maple and G&H Rum. In both cases only when they are fresh (and still a bit to moist) can you even detect what the topping is. If you dry them out to proper case they just taste like pure tobacco with a very slight sweetness. They are fantastic and I recommend them highly. Any of them.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tad-arrival-or-should-i-say-rad
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/have-you-seen-me-do-you-live-in-tobacco-country
a couple of threads I had going recently discussing ropes..

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yes @phxrock G&H blends will make you rethink aromatics. They're nothing along the lines of an american aromatic. I've got some rum twist and it just tastes like plain tobacco pretty much. I've found letting rope sit in a jar for a few months really settles it down and makes it a lot easier to smoke.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Comrade, I just tried warrior plug for the first time I did enjoy it. Now I am waiting to try some ropes. I mainly smoke Latakia blends and some flake. Gave up the aros some time ago.
John

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've found letting rope sit in a jar for a few months really settles it down and makes it a lot easier to smoke.
I'm sitting here smoking some Brown Irish X that's been "cellared" for since the summer. It tastes almost mild and sweet compared to the freshly cut stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.