PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Not a Brit, but when I worked in Hong Kong in the late '80's (when HK was still a British Colony prior to handover back to China) I enjoyed many ploughman's lunches at Mad Dog's pub on Wynham Street in the Central business district. The simple pleasures can't be beat...

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
You can't beat a proper ploughman's lunch in a pub with a glass of foaming real ale on a balmy summer's day.

BTW, it ain't no ploughman's unless there's a pickled onion on the plate and the cheese is cheddar....it HAS to be cheddar :).

Regards,

Jay.
And a little bit of chutney on the side, as well...
What the hell is a ploughman's lunch??
Here's the Wikipedia definition:

"A ploughman's lunch is an English cold meal based around bread, cheese, and fresh or pickled onions. Additional items can be added such as ham, green salad, hard boiled eggs, and apple, and usual accompaniments are butter and "pickle", which in Britain denotes a chutney-like condiment. As its name suggests, it is most commonly eaten at lunchtime. It is particularly associated with pubs, and often served with beer."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
MCI, I visited Hong Kong in 1970, and as I recall, the date of hand-over to the Chinese government, and the end of the British Crown Colony was 1997, though the culture hung on for a decade or so, when people still related strongly to the British traditions. When I was there, long lines of school kids were kitted out in blue school blazers and neckties, and English was spoken in a distinctly English way.

We had to go on liberty off the ship in our uniforms, so people knew immediately that we were Yanks. I was greatly amused that no matter what food or beverage I ordered, the wait person brought a tall bottle of catsup and set it in front of me.

A group of us sailors took a van tour with an attractive young woman that included a tram ride up Victoria peak to overlook the harbor and a trip out to a floating restaurant for Chinese food (no catsup) in a little scull propelled by an elderly woman who used only one oar off the stern.

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
Everyone should take the ploughmans pill. Been a while since I've had a proper ploughmans, after seeing this I might go grab what I need..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This morning in addition to my coffee, toast, and bacon, I added sharp cheddar cheese slices and a dessert of pecan pie. Often I will add in refried potatoes from the night before and another sweet or dessert to bolster the day.

Cheese is a regular offering at breakfast buffets in Europe, notably in Ireland and Holland for me.

Ploughman's lunch has a nice sound to it, though the ploughmen all boarded tractors long ago.