PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I know it sounds very gay doesn't it! I was sent a sample of this stuff by a chum of mine. I have always been intrigued to try the stuff because (a) the attractive tin art work (b) according to the tin you can chew the stuff as well as smoke it (c) it is not made anymore. Upon receiving the sample I noticed that the tobacco was a very finely cut burly that you would usually associate with RYO tobacco. The tobacco was topped with something that sort of reminded me of the smell of an old peoples home or a geriatric ward. It was certainly not a chewing tobacco I would recognize and was more akin to a dip with a slightly spicy flavor. I did not find it a very appealing dip as the small fragments of tobacco got into the gaps in my teeth and had a crispy texture which I found quite unpleasant. In view of the dryness of this sample I used a clay pipe to smoke the sample in as I was concerned that it might burn too hot for an elderly meerschaum. The tobacco took flame very easily, in fact way to easily for my taste. The topping reminded me of Three Castles but it had to be smoked very carefully to avoid tongue burn or second degree mouth burns. With hindsight I should have added some water to the packet to rehydrate the stuff although I was assured it came out of the sealed can pretty dry. Even with a densely packed clay this stuff burnt down way to quickly for my liking and turned into white ash with very little in the way of dottle in the bottom of the bowl. Did I like it? Not really as I am a Lakeland/Rose Geranium type of guy and I just couldn't find the flavor in this blend however hard I tried. Apparently it was a very popular tobacco with a pedigree that goes back to the 1920s and was still being made up to the 1970s and maybe beyond. Age when smoked: Approximately 40 years. Pipe used: John Pollock 6" clay cutty pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I remember Plough Boy from the 1950's. I thought it was strictly chewing tobacco, but I never tried it.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Yes, definitely does not sound like it's to close to Condor or Warrior to me...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Someone showed up at the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club last week with a very large tin of this shit unique blend. They passed it around, and everyone tried it, except for me.
I have not heard from any of them since.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have been informed that although this product was described as 'Smoking Tobacco' it was really meant to be a RYO. That being said Prince Albert was also described on the side of the tin as being for pipes or cigarettes. It has always amused me that a tobacco could be named after Queen Victoria's late husband as well as a body piecing on a rather sensitive part of the male anatomy. If only he knew all these things perhaps he would not have died at such a young age! It does rather beg the question about what the 'Plough Boy' was into as well. Prince Alberts perhaps? :rofl:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
It has always amused me that a tobacco could be named after Queen Victoria's late husband as well as a body piecing on a rather sensitive part of the male anatomy.
It's not. It's named for his first son Albert The Price of Wales who went on to become HRH King Edward. He is the guy who said "Gentleman You May Smoke!" 8O

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Plough Boy Tobacco!
It's Plow Boy:
th

Status
Not open for further replies.