PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Thanks for the the thorough lessons @danimali and @mso489!

The harm reduction is exactly why I got into snus, I was smoking too much for my liking and it has completely put that in check. I buy online from snuscentral, and I've tried most of the GR line and have enjoyed them a lot.

That's interesting that it was negatively affecting your experience while smoking a pipe, I'll have to look out for that. As it is, I think my mouth appreciates the snus more than the smoke. I'm with you on the loose as well, it just feels better in the lip, but portions are nice and discreet for my job.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Jitterbugdude had sent me some of his orange snus dip that was fantastic. The chocolate was so so. Apparently he uses a process that does something to the enzymes that makes it less dangerous as well. I just wish I could find something commercial like what he was making. I liked it, but I don't want to have to get into cooking my own snus also. Plus, I would go crazy trying to get the stuff into little bags to put them in my mouth.
You can buy it online direct from Sweden. The shipping charges are a bit steep so unless you're buying a couple of rolls worth, it might be a bit dear just to try it. I ordered from Snus Central most of the time. Good shop.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Reactions: danimalia

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
You can buy it online direct from Sweden. The shipping charges are a bit steep so unless you're buying a couple of rolls worth, it might be a bit dear just to try it. I ordered from Snus Central most of the time. Good shop.
Northerner is a good option as well for a few select swedish snus brands as well, including general. They have a warehouse in the US so shipping is fast and often cheaper.

• Love
Reactions: danimalia

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So I purchased a can of General Original this morning on a whim when I was paying for gas and this stuff is very interesting. I haven't done a lot of research into Swedish snus other than it's pasteurized instead of fire-cured which makes it much less carcinogenic.

The flavor is a bit citrusy, salty, and has an herbal tea thing going on, but what really surprised me was the nic hit. It came on nice and gentle and then before I knew it, I had myself a little buzz going.

I think I may want to explore Snus further, are there any experienced members who can guide me to make a smart purchase online? I have no idea where to start.

Thanks!
yeah try a bit of different styles. Also in my opinion los is way better and a better value. The thing is making a pinch or prilla is counter intuitive. As in really easy but you just sorta gently work it into the shape you want letting the warmth of your fingers do the work not the force. Once you get that down it takes a second and you can do it in pitch black with no problem until then you'll get crumbles in your mouth. And yeah the nic hit is great it's slow to come on but still packs a punch. Just make sure you put the pinch in a different spot then where you did with the last one.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
That dude is snus obsessed!
It's Snubie! He's cool. He does lots of snus reviews and features on youtube. Informative, and always seemed like a good guy to me.

While I eventually got ok at making a prilla, I also used a tool when I was in a situation that called for more discretion. You can find cheap, plastic versions that work just as well as the ice tool in my experience, but just linked to it as an example.

Reactions: NomadOrb

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
yeah try a bit of different styles. Also in my opinion los is way better and a better value. The thing is making a pinch or prilla is counter intuitive. As in really easy but you just sorta gently work it into the shape you want letting the warmth of your fingers do the work not the force. Once you get that down it takes a second and you can do it in pitch black with no problem until then you'll get crumbles in your mouth. And yeah the nic hit is great it's slow to come on but still packs a punch. Just make sure you put the pinch in a different spot then where you did with the last one.
Yeah, it's been a bit over a month since then and I've fallen off the deep end. My freezer has lots of snus that I'm getting to as I finish the cans I have open.

That's funny, I started doing that technique intuitively because the prilla weren't giving me enough flavor. I just pinch it up against the side of the can and throw it up there with my thumb.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm curious. Is the Camel Snus the same thing as Swedish Snus?
not even close. I think Camel snus is designed to not get anyone to stop smoking cigs. Like good enough to cover those times you can't smoke but not good enough to say fuck smoking.
Yeah, it's been a bit over a month since then and I've fallen off the deep end. My freezer has lots of snus that I'm getting to as I finish the cans I have open.

That's funny, I started doing that technique intuitively because the prilla weren't giving me enough flavor. I just pinch it up against the side of the can and throw it up there with my thumb.
Snus is great. I make a prilla and then smoosh it inside my mouth by pressing on the outer part of my lip to spread it out. Works really well for some reason.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I like it. I prefer pipes. But most of all, I enjoy watching cocky people trying it and then making a fool out of themselves about 15mins later. Nicotine wise I find it similar after 20mins to a few afternoon bowls of lighter tobacco. I might take snus once every month or so, and I like it when cooking up a feast or drinking tonic water.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Some use only the back of the thumb. He says he can make it so fast that nobody can see him making a prilla.

Why the back of his thumb, you may ask ... because it's clean and he's free to use his hands for other things. Like poking a stick. Obviously.
That's a neat trick with the back of the thumb. I've been keeping Los usage at home because pouches are more discreet, and I'm interacting with people all day for work.

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
I would agree with @alaskanpiper to stick with General and try all their offerings. I agree with pretty much everything he said here, as well.

Everyone’s taste and experience is different, but I prefer the classic (Yellow Label) and get a pretty consistent nic dose from them. I get Bergamont (think English Black Tea) as the most prominent flavor and then some saltiness.

I also purchased a limited run small batch log of Minestry of Snus Bourbon Vanilla and it’s too strong for me. I keep trying it every once in a while to see if I’m building some tolerance, but it buzzes me within a minute and after about 15 min, I start to feel sick. Meanwhile, I’ve gifted a couple cans and the rest of the log sits in my freezer.

General is a legit and consistent product and if you find something you like in their line, then you won’t get sucked into spending $100’s chasing snus from European sites. Stick with something available local that you enjoy.

My 2 cents

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I occasionally use a product called Makla. This is basically loose snus made in Belgium, should be available in the US, too. It is quite strong, unflavoured and has no saltyness, which is why I like it more than snus.

If you dislike the crumbs of loose snus in your mouth, you can also wrap your prilla in a snip of tea filter paper.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
I occasionally use a product called Makla. This is basically loose snus made in Belgium, should be available in the US, too. It is quite strong, unflavoured and has no saltyness, which is why I like it more than snus.

If you dislike the crumbs of loose snus in your mouth, you can also wrap your prilla in a snip of tea filter paper.
I've always been curious about Makla since I saw it for sale at MrSnuff. Haven't tried it yet, though.

Reactions: burleyboy

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I've always been curious about Makla since I saw it for sale at MrSnuff. Haven't tried it yet, though.

I like it actually more than snus or loose leaf chewing tobacco, but it is definitely an acquired taste. Since there are no added flavours (except for the green tin Menthol version), you get quite some fermentation flavours and a bit of ammonia.

Here’s a pic of the ‘cut’.

image.jpg

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I just recently moved into a place that's much better for me, my girlfriend, and her mother but the lease calls for no smoking in the house and I've been working from home for the last year. I've been using General Mint or Wintergreen and it's been perfect for my use. I have a nice place to smoke (on the large side porch) but this winter has been rougher than normal so I haven't been smoking outdoors as much as I'd like. The weather's beginning to break so that will be solved soon.

Russ

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I just recently moved into a place that's much better for me, my girlfriend, and her mother but the lease calls for no smoking in the house and I've been working from home for the last year. I've been using General Mint or Wintergreen and it's been perfect for my use. I have a nice place to smoke (on the large side porch) but this winter has been rougher than normal so I haven't been smoking outdoors as much as I'd like. The weather's beginning to break so that will be solved soon.

Russ
My new work was another reason I picked up the snus, and the wife being happier has been a nice side effect.

@ebnash I went hard into General at first, but it had a touch too much pepper for me. I had to go online to fine the variety I was looking for. Plus side is even with the shipping the individual cans come out to be around $4 vs the $9 locally here in Cali. I just have to buy in bulk, which isn't a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.