Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
This is a friendly reminder about one of our rules:
Post Titles Should Be Like This
they should not be like this
Please use your shift key, otherwise this place that many of us love starts to look like crap.
Also, new site coming very soon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I join in seconding the motion. In journalism, "in my day," this style of headline was called initial caps, meaning that the first letter of each word is capitalized. Not all caps, and not all lower case. Initial caps are snappy, readable, and emphasize the fact that it is a title. In the 1950s, said the old timer, a wonderful romantic poet named e.e. cummings used all lower case as his creative poetic mode, and did some fabulous work that is worth reading every time. Unfortunately, his imitators generated by the millions. Everyone thought it was clever ... and easy! But initial caps is an excellent way to lend a little stature to written titles. Use 'em. Not because it's a rule, but because it's style.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
:clap: Thank you all. And use capitals in All content. (Where required) :mrgreen:
Do you mean as in the start of sentences?
I was taught that it was improper to capitalize articles in titles.
A Day in the Life of an Interesting Pipe Smoker. (for example).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jam, I think you are correct that most publications, print or online, do not capitalize articles in titles. It's not a grammar rule, just a matter of the publication's "style book," which is intended to settle all judgement calls, or most that come up. I've debated with myself on Forums original posts of my own. I've probably done both ways. I think Forums kept the rules as simple as possible to not smother members in style points. I suspect either way will pass muster with mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.