Please Recommend Some *Sweet* (Less Hay-Like, Non-Aro) Virginias.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I'm developing quite a sweet tooth when it comes to tobacco. And it's the sweetness of non-aros that I really enjoy. Based on various reviews and recommendations, it looks like both Marlin Flake and Capstan Blue are well worth a try. I've had McC's 5100, HOTW, Old Gowrie, Dunhill Flake, FVF, and a couple of others. But it was Old Gowrie that left me wanting more sugary, less tart Virginias.
What do you recommend?
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Thanks Rothnh. I may avoid the AK for now, if only because I'm sensitive to perique when it's used more than a light condiment. Blackwoods Flake is certainly on the list, however.
And the name "Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown Flake" alone is enough to compel a purchase.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Dang, I thought I could beat Roth to the punch!
I'll second Blackwoods Flake. It's been mouth watering sweet with just a hint of tanginess for me.
Full Virginia Flake wasn't super sweet, but I don't find it "grasslike".

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I find the majority of McClelland Virginia flakes offer a good sweetness (classic VA 2010, FM2000, Christmas Cheer, Blackwoods,etc). Dunhill Flake also offers a nice subtle sweetness wen sipped.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
While the Marlin Flake has perique in it, I dont find it over the top. I'm very partial to the stuff and smoke it often. I'd also toss McCelland's Tudor Castle and Beacon into the ring. I know Tudor Castle has orientals in it, but it is a rich sweet smoke. I'm really enjoying my first tin.
Beacon to me is savory like the juices from a brisket. There's a slight orange zest thing going on at times but I don't find it to be an everyday smoke.
EDIT: Shoot forgot one of my favorites. 4Noggins Prairie Wind.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Mac Baren Virginia #1 is one of my favourites, there is some "hay like" taste to it, but I mostly get a caramel, brown sugar taste from that. I absolutely love the stuff

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Peter, I was simply stating my preference for Virginia #1 as a blend, my post had nothing to do with your post, there was no confusion.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
future, here are a some of my favorite sweet Virginia's.
Capstan Blue Flake

Dunhill Flake

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, Vintage and Special Brown

Rotary Navy Cut... topped with rum and nice and sweet.

Astleys 44 and 109

Wessex Brown Virginia, Gold Virginia, Campaign Brigade, Gold Brick

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

Hamborger Veermaster.... this latest batch needs some age to get it where it used to be.

Peterson University Flake

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Futureman you really should try AK. As Rothnh mentioned, the perique is very mild which is why I enjoy it. I have a tried other Va/Per and have found nothing compares to AK.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I would suggest:
Hamborger Veermaster (flake) by Dan Tobacco

Dunhill Flake

McClelland St. James Woods

Rattray Old Gowrie

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Any blend with stoved (black) Virginia will have a more intense sweetness. I use it in our Virginia Night, which I turn to frequently when the Virginia bug stikes me.
Russ

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Harris, I'm suprised Navigator didn't make your list.
I'd also toss in Cairo for a suggestion. It's probably been 3 or 4 years since I've had it (gosh...more maybe?) but from what I remember, I think you'd like it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
undecagon, I just realized that I listed University Flake which does have some burley in it.
Chris, thanks, I have a sweet tooth for my blends and all of those hit the spot for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.