PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Exactly deathmetal. Either way you look at this story it's merely an expression of corporate and individual beliefs. Neither of which are valid or invalid, but simply opposed. What a beautiful country we live in where that can happen. And, we should save our true angst for when ones expression is silenced.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Till this nonsense came to light I never really paid much attention to the cup. Why do we vent our spleen so hard on something as inconsequential as what is on a paper cup that will be thrown away when you're done with it? With all the problems we need to focus on, this gets the most focus? I guess people don't want to focus on what is real and important and waste their time on such trivial BS. Fine if you don't like the paper cup business don't darken their door again. It's your money spend it how you want. I'm Catholic myself and am far more worried about the real dangers being perpetrated on Christians around the globe to give a rat's butt about a stupid paper cup, REALLY???

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Ah, yes. The long and venerable tradition of--of what, the disposable coffee cup? A synthetic polymer heated and blown into a mold, printed with the name of an international corporation, sleeved 50 at a time, packed into a case of a thousand, shipped from city to city, from continent to continent; unpacked by a teenager in a stockroom somewhere, unsleeved, dropped on to a dirty floor and picked up again, shoved into a dispenser that hasn't been cleaned in years, pulled out one-by-one by a glorified "barista", filled with sugar, syrup, heavy cream, whipped cream, cinnamon, pumpkin sludge, and a touch of overpriced coffee, and handed off to an impatient and irritable consumer. Now to be sipped with affectation (and probably a sneer--the sugarsyrupcinnamonheavycreamwhippedcreampumpkinsludgecoffee ratio is all wrong :x ), and tossed on top of an overflowing garbage can.
To which noble tradition we can now, FINALLY, add much harumphing and stamping-of-feet, because the Christmas cup isn't Christmas-ey enough?

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Why do we vent our spleen so hard on something as inconsequential as what is on a paper cup that will be thrown away when you're done with it?
Amen. If the blow hard that started this shite storm would spend his Starbucks money and time actually doing something for the good of society, instead of claiming his 5 minutes of fame on the interwebs, this world would be a better place.
I've got an idea... instead of spending that $4.50 on a cup of burnt coffee so you can complain about the cup, how about buying a sandwich for a homeless person.
Guys like this are the same ones that get their panties in a bunch about inconsequential BS and then storm past the guy standing outside in his tattered shoes and dirty clothes without even taking notice of them. Attention grabbing agendas often come at the expense of worthwhile ones.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
elbert, if you are referring to my post about preserving Christmas traditions I'm talking about holly, candy canes, ginger bread houses, family gatherings, Christmas trees, nativity scenes, the lights, carols, bells, THAT sort of stuff. Geeze, I thought I was the Scrooge!
Here in Portland this year public high school choirs have been officially banned from singing Christmas carols at a local venue as they have been doing for the past fifty years. It's just one thing going away after another.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Not at all, tuold. I wasn't responding to anyone in particular. It's the predictable yearly furor that I find tiresome.
I am not a religious man, but if anything is Sacred to me, it must be a thing which is substantial--as deep and remote and awe-inspiring as the roots of mountains and the bones of the Earth. So I try to place myself in the mindset of a believer (as I was once), and I wonder--I mean, the message of Christ is nothing short of transformative. "Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." If it's true, and if his followers truly believe it, why the pettiness? I'm not asking Christians to be holy--"all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God," as it says rightly in an old book--but I would generally expect from them a better-than-average sense of perspective about holiness. And yet this is the hill they choose to fight on?
I might put it another way;

"Whose image and inscription is on that cup?" (Cf. Matthew 22:20)

Status
Not open for further replies.