PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You should test the draw after filling your bowl before you ever light it up. It should draw like sucking on a straw in a cup of water. If it's like sucking on a milkshake, you should dump it and refill.
And learn to dry the tobacco more before loading. (You really have to bear down to overpack when the tobacco isn't too moist)

btwes7

Lifer
Jul 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I cube cut flakes, let dry overnight then gravity fill. Light tamp, one good charring light and I’m good to go. Never really got too worked up over Cake. It just happens.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Just keep adjusting your technique and soon you’ll start experiencing those magical “perfect” bowls. It takes awhile and you will certainly develop your own methods with practice. I’m still fairly new and it seems like just yesterday I was experiencing the same frustrations. It’s the path we all take in the beginning.
This is probably the reason a lot of folks who try the pipe give up when they struggle through this stage. So much easier to light a cigarette and keep on going. Me, I like the methodology, the fiddling, packing etc. Experimenting with different techniques is always fun especially when the outcome is positive given the infinite variables.
As far as packing goes, I too got wrapped around the axle with all the different methods but now, I just fill the bowl and press on it with a finger until it just “feels right”. Again, that comes with practice and experience. Best advice was given above as the OTC blends are the most forgiving and makes things much easier. You’re definitely in the right place for great info and I certainly believe this forum has shaved years off the learning curve for me personally.
Welcome and enjoy.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The funny thing about packing is it sounds so simple, but then turns out to be so perplexingly difficult. Then after a time, it seems like it’s the easiest thing in the world and you can’t imagine why you found it so difficult to start. Have patience and stay determined.
When properly packed, ribbon-cut tobacco should feel spongy — something like a marshmallow. Aromatics can prove difficult to pack because of their tendency to stick together tightly. To start, easy burning tobaccos will prove less frustrating. In general, the cross-cut codger burley blends are easy to pack, so the Carter Hall suggestions are sound. Half and Half isn’t half bad either. They also have a reputation for being good tobaccos for building cake. Honestly, I don’t worry much about it. Most new briars have bowl coatings to protect the briar from the start anyway.
If the draw is hard, try sticking a pipecleaner all the way down the stem and into the bottom of the bowl to clear the draft hole. That can happen during your initial packing or during the smoke when tamping. Some pipers routinely insert a pipecleaner while packing.
Finally, try lighting with wooden matches. I find it easier to get a good light than with butane or a zippo. Hold the match above, not touching the tobacco. You want to get a good ember going, but be careful not to puff too hard when lighting; otherwise, your tongue will pay a heavy price.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
You really have to bear down to overpack when the tobacco isn't too moist
Good point. I've found that it helps to pack tighter with very dry tobacco.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
I tried the 3 step method per youtube when i started few months ago quickly found out how varied peoples takes on how hard to pack and such can be. Since im a mechanic with a calibrated arm strength ratio :) i have found you get the feel for how your particular blends and pipes pack there are helpful tips but no set guidlines as everyone is diffrent keep trying till you get what works for you.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I'm still struggling with keeping my pipe(s) lit, but then 95% of my (gifted) tobacco consists of plug, twist and flake which according to the guys here has a much steeper learning curve when it comes to preparation and keeping it lit.
That said I still struggle - although not as much - with the ribbon (is that the right term?) stuff.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, ribbon and shag are two types of cuts. Many of the plugs, ropes and flakes retain moisture longer than the former. So, cutting up or rubbing out and then drying may be a good plan.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Many of the plugs, ropes and flakes retain moisture longer than the former. So, cutting up or rubbing out and then drying may be a good plan.
I do this but I think impatience gets the better of me. What's a man to do with those lovely notes teasing you all the time? Maybe I need to dry it in a different room.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I do this but I think impatience gets the better of me. What's a man to do with those lovely notes teasing you all the time? Maybe I need to dry it in a different room.
My suggestion would be leave at least a bowl full out to dry overnight, or however long it takes to get it really dry...so that you'll be able to tell the difference. And then you can decide how dry you normally want it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Me too. That's why I dry a boat load of tobacco well in advance. I have maybe 20 ounces in 6-7 blends that are ready to go. Using a hygrometer is the only way I can do it; others may be able to better sense the level of moisture.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
My suggestion would be leave at least a bowl full out to dry overnight, or however long it takes to get it really dry
I did actually do something similar yesterday evening. I had two plugs, maybe 1" wide by 2" long that I chopped up and put into a ziplock bag without the zip closed.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
Thank you all very much, I tried to change my packing and smoke drier and results are promising so far. The only one I cant even lit is FVF, no matter how dry it is I cant even lit it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One option is to not build cake. To do this, or not do it, scoop out the ash and then wipe out the bowl with a paper towel or napkin, then use a pipe cleaner and buff off the pipe. Wiping out the bowl will leave a thin carbon layer but no cake. This eliminates the need to ream a pipe and the possible damage a beginner can do with a reamer, and it also maintains the diameter of the chamber of the pipe for the life of the pipe, and maybe your lifetime as well. It works for me, and my 40-plus and thirty something year old pipes seem to like it too. Don't over-think breaking in your pipes. Pack 'em, smoke 'em, and learn as you go. Sip at the pipe, don't puff like a steam locomotive, and you will mostly do fine. Welcome aboard.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
yes I am in CT. that's a great idea. Do you happen to know any place?
Where in CT? If you are able, we'd (New York Pipe Club) be more than happy to meet you and help in any way. We meet on the second Tues. of every month at SoHo Cigar Bar 32 Watts Street in SoHo NYC. All the info you need can be found here:
https://newyorkpipeclub.clubexpress.com/
If you are available, another opportunity to met up would be at the NY Pipe Show, in Newark, NJ on March 9th - all of the info about it can be found at the link provided.
I also found this thread here on the forum: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/connecticut-pipe-smokers
We'd be more than happy to help you in any way if you are able to get to one of our meetings or events.
Stick with it and be patient, your perseverance will pay dividends in pleasure and relaxation!
Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.