Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagar

Might Stick Around
Jun 7, 2011
pipes-003-600x279.jpg

Yesterday I found this old Squat Bulldog in a pipe shop and bought it immediately cause I liked the shape and size.

But the flaking of paint in certain areas(marked in red) are not looking so good to me.Since there is no pipe repairing shop, I have to re-paint and polish it by myself.But I don't know how.Please help me friends,I really would like to give it a new look.

pipes-004-600x282.jpg

Edit: Fixed Pix Lawrence

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I think a good refinishing will do wonders for that pipe.
A good thorough cleaning then some sanding 100-150 to remove the paint, then using a hot iron on the dings (to raise the surface, then continue sanding with 220-330-400-800 grit, re-stain (I wouldn't paint it), then a good wax and buff...

Should be good as new!

For tricks and tips I'd ask UncleArthur.
It just looks like a great pipe and definitely worth the effort to bring it back.

I like it.

There is just something cool about a bent bulldog.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I like a pipe with character and even more so in dark colors. I'd just clean the hell out of it and smoke it. If not, then what Lawrence said.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
By taking of that heavy layer of paint you will most likely find that the pipe will look better and smoke cooler. Word of caution though. The paint may be covering up a lot of fills and flaws.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
That is a GREAT shape. Looking at that stem shape, especially the end, I'm thinking that might be a really old pipe.
My advice? Take off the paint with 200 or so grit (unless you need more aggressive 150 to get it off. If there are problems underneath as Uncle A warns -- fills, cracks etc -- you have two options:
1. Get our the Dremel and try your hand at rusticating or,
2. keep sanding to smooth (down to 800 or so) and then stain with a very heavy, opaque stain.
If taking off the paint reveals no major flaws, then sand down to smooth (800 at least) and stain however you like.
Again, that is a GREAT catch -- just an outstanding shape.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Shoe polish !!! When you get a good buy and it has a few dings--smoke it. Than make up a good story up

about what happen to it. Like jumping out of a window when the main man comes home and it fell out of your

pocket oorrrrrr this it dropped out of your mouth this dame kisses you on the cheek. Other than that seen it off to some one how can redo it. more $$$$.

Stay with a good story unless married

Done it

sagar

Might Stick Around
Jun 7, 2011
@ Lawrence

Can you please suggest me which stain should I have to use?I mean to say oil based or water based?After staining or waxing how long I have to wait to smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.