Please Help Identify these Tobacco Plants.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Morning, name is Jacques, I was in the Canadian military for almost 31 yrs, and starting smoking pipe not too long ago, it relaxes me and some how when I smoke a bowl I kind of forget things that happen in some mission.
A friend of mine gave me some pipe tobacco seeds, so this is what I have right now but don't know what type of tobacco it is and wonder if you can help me out figure out what it is.
Is it worth my time to out those plants (90) in the ground.
Merci

Attachments

• PXL_20240522_193109082.jpg
    PXL_20240522_193109082.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 38

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Welcome from the Birthplace of Texas.

The Bad:
It is going to be impossible for anyone to positively identify which variety or varieties are pictured.
The Good:
Tobacco requires relatively little effort to grow and you have many viable plants ready to be transplanted.
Suggestion:
If you have the desire and space to grow all ninety (90), plant them out over the course of a few weeks.
Perhaps thirty (30) now, then another thirty (30) next week and thirty (30) more the following week.

My advice is rarely worth what you pay for it and never a cent more.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Is it worth my time to out those plants (90) in the ground.
Have no answer as I don't know what you value your time at. No more work than most plants, weeding, proper watering, insect abatement, etc. You are simply cultivating a plant. Also, no such thing a "pipe" tobacco plant. Just tobacco plants. After harvest you determine how the leaf is processed.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
Welcome Jacques! Always great to see a fellow Canuck here :)

Those are some very healthy looking plants - you’ve got a real green thumb! Unfortunately it’s impossible to tell with any confidence what particular type of tobacco this is, but they look amazing so far

Reactions: stephendownie

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
Thank you all for your comments, one more question. Can you add flavor to you tobacco,if yes how do I do that? the one that I am smoking right now is home produced by a friend and has hardly any taste.
Merci
You’ll want to look up tobacco casing methods! Probably worth starting simple and in small batches. Basic ingredients often include sugar, honey, or apple cider vinegar. I haven’t done it myself so I’m not intimately familiar. It’s basically just mixing the leaf with a bit of the above (or other similar ingredients) to offset the natural tobacco flavor. Basically every pipe tobacco nowadays has cased leaf, aside from a very very small number of exceptions.

If you want to you can go further, topping the tobacco! Tons of options there, but I feel like rum/whiskey are some of the easier topping options

Thank you all for your comments, one more question. Can you add flavor to you tobacco,if yes how do I do that? the one that I am smoking right now is home produced by a friend and has hardly any taste.
Merci
I've grown tobacco a number of times and adding toppings or casings can be a pain. A lot can be done to impart different flavours by how you process it once it has been cured. I have had limited luck in putting the freshly harvested leaves stalk down in containers of mild sugar water so they draw the sugars up into the leaves. Sort of a tobacco bouquet before curing them. Good luck!

My own little crop has been hit hard by the lousy weather we're having here on the West Coast this year.

Reactions: David D. Davidson

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
When the plants are mature there may be a hint in the shape and number of the leaves that can point to one or another family of varieties (air-cured or flue-cured) but I don't know of a way to identify exactly which seed you started with.

It largely doesn't matter much. You could sun, air, or flue cure any tobacco. Not every variety has enough natural sugar in the leaf to be able to do the orange to red color setting that can happen in a flue curing chamber, but it will still cure.