PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I was gifted some tobacco from a generous forum member and in the tobacco that was sent was some Black House. I have really been trying to like the stuff. I hear how it is so good and that it is one of the best blends out there. I am just not feeling this blend. Maybe my flavor palate hasn't acquired the taste for this blend yet. And I wanted to be a black blood :crying:

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Haha, to each his own, I guess. If you really hate it I'm sure some fine member here would be willing to take it off your hands. Or of course you can revisit it after a while.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
LOL, I got a tin of it last yr. I tried so hard to like it. Smoked probably 10 bowls or so out of it over a period of 6 months or so. The tin, with the rest of the baccy, found its' way to the garbage. It is a fine, flavourful smoke, obviously made out of high quality stuff, just not my thing is all.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
No need to feel the least bit guilty over that because it's all a matter of personal taste and not being a sheep that follows the flock.

The same goes for pipes. I'd rather get hold of a nice Kirsten than a Dunhill Amber Root any day.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I never ever throw out tobacco I do not like, waste of money. I would trade it or mix it with something else to hide the taste if it was that bad. Still I think trading it is better all the way around, someone would like it and would possibly have a tobacco you like. I just can't justify wasting tobacco at the prices they charge.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
I kind of dove off the deep end making Black House the first balkan that I tried. It was a little overwhelming to me at first, but I find myself reaching for it quite regularly and feel it is really beginning to grow on me. I do get that a lot of tobaccos are love/hate, but this one has been a taste I seem to be acquiring. I just tried FMOTB the other night too and although it is quite different, I found myself referring to it as Black House's sweet little kid sister... :lol:

Jan 8, 2013
Try it again later. For me it was love at first puff :) and I could easily say.... "quick! Send it to me, me, me!!!!" But honestly I have another small tin unopened that I'm saving for when I get a new freehand soon (waiting on that blasted tax return still!) So I really don't need it. I've heard so many here say, if you don't like it put it aside and go back later. Give that a try... and if you still don't like it, trade it away or send it away to someone else who hasn't smoked it by all means.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
[You just suck Bigboi. WTF is your problem? What? You don't like Black House? Shame on your sorry ass!]
LOL. Now that is funny
I guess I don't know how to use the quote function either. Epic fail x2 today :oops:

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I had some guilt for firing up a bowl of Navy Flake and didnt care for it. I am going to hang on to it for a year or so and give er another try. I also felt guilty for not liking Mississippi River. :( I suck.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
BB:
Tastes change, pard. Most of us start smoking aromatics and then our palates take us to England, the Occident or that hell-hole of Virginia. For me, VAs are right up there alongside root canals. And while I love Perique mixed with my English blends, a VaPer normally sends me reeling towards a toilet. But, I'm still trying. Every six months or so I try a Virginia, a Virginia with Perique or anything served up as a circle/disk/rondel/roundel or whatever the hell you call them.
Take what you have left, jar it up and put it somewhere dark and cool for 18 to 24 months. At that point, if it still doesn't agree with you, put it away for another 2 years and then try it again. Who knows what will happen?
Right now, at this point in my life, I'd slap a child, strangle a kitten and kick a hole through a stained glass window for a bowl of Penzance, Black House, Plum Pudding, Nightcap, etc.
Fnord

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I'm with you bigboi. I don't care for BH either. Got a sample of it with my order and the taste is not my style. I think I might go ahead and trade it off. Not going to force myself to like it like I did with my sample of Squadron Leader. To this day I still don't like that tobacco either. Oh well!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have found that if the blend is of a category you like i.e English blends and you don't like it right away, it would behoove you to try it in different pipes. You would be amazed at how the right pipe can make all the difference. Also you may want to put it away for a few months and then revisit. I have done that and then fell in love with a blend a few months later.
Now if English blends are not your thing, then no matter what the pipe or the amount of time, will get you to enjoy it. I personally don't care for English blends so do not smoke them. I would not be a fan of Black House no matter how good it was. I am very thankful that there are so many people who smoke English blends, that way they keep their greasy paws off my beloved Va flakes.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I wouldn't generalize and say that any blend is one of the best blends out there. When judging a blend you should keep in mind what type of blend it is. Now I would have a blend and say it's the best aromatic or the best English blend etc. though.

Aug 1, 2012
You would be amazed at how the right pipe can make all the difference.
I'm just starting to learn this lesson. I am finding that even if a pipe "smokes English blends well" it just might not work for a specific blend.
By the way, I just tried Black House last night and I'm in love. I didn't want to because I hate following a group but them's the breaks. If you hate it, that's one less person competing with me for some.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Roth...yes I knew you were jabbing with me. I take no offense. Also, I am actually going to order some to hold onto for a while. Try it in about a year.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Well I have a big order I am planning out..I need to decide if black house is going to make the cut or not on this order.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I knew I wasn't going to be hated. from what I have learned from this forum is that personal taste differs from one person to the next. Really I posted the topic because noobs like me can sometimes feel uncomfortable to voice if they don't like a tobacco or not. I am not saying I ever felt intimidated but I can see how some people can. But, for the most part, for those that are the frequent flyers around here I feel like you guys are Jedi Knights and I am just the young padawan trying to learn how use the force that is the ways of the tobacco leaf and finding the tricks of the smoke!!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I was actually surprised to find that I liked Black House as much as I do. My palate is still developing, and I got the sense from the various posts about BH and the Black Bloods that it's a blend that doesn't inspire neutrality.
:D It's all good - if you're not ordering it, there's more for the rest of us!

Status
Not open for further replies.