PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Most likely the rim—briar— is being smudged, not really damaged. But the main point is any source of flame can be used to gently light tobacco without damage to any part of the pipe. It's easy to put too much flame onto the tobacco. Just pull the flame's tip to near the tobacco.

Matches are as easy as anything, and have the least chance of doing harm.
I use a zippo with a pipe insert works well for me. No off taste or rim Charing. I also lick my finger and wet the rim before lighting my pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Uh-oh. I hope I'm not a pipe abuser. I use mostly matches to light, and I try to be careful and on target, but a few of my pipes seem to get a little seared at the brim. I don't like it, but I'd rather have a pipe a bit charred by enjoyment than meticulous by disuse. Maybe that is why I instinctively focused on wonderful old mid-range factory pipes rather than high-end pipes I'd save months for. As Clint Eastwood says in Dirty Harry, a man's got to know his limitations.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Uh-oh. I hope I'm not a pipe abuser. I use mostly matches to light, and I try to be careful and on target, but a few of my pipes seem to get a little seared at the brim. I don't like it, but I'd rather have a pipe a bit charred by enjoyment than meticulous by disuse. Maybe that is why I instinctively focused on wonderful old mid-range factory pipes rather than high-end pipes I'd save months for. As Clint Eastwood says in Dirty Harry, a man's got to know his limitations.
Same. I try to be careful but I buy my pipes to smoke and they're going to look like they have been after I put hundreds of bowls worth of tobacco through them

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
People who use Zippos (without the butane pipe insert) tend to deface their briars rather quickly. I have never understood the appeal of using the Zippo because it torches the briar and leaves an awful taste.
I'm no packing wizard, so I do a lot of relighting. With Zippos . Some of my pipes have been lit thousands of times. Indoors, outdoors, in the car, that Zippo flame is all over the place. Yet the rims of my pipes are as clean as the day they left the factory.
Zippos are great for lighting a pipe!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That one is definitely scorched. Those marks are really difficult to remove, and can only be done by forever altering the profile. But, that shape and bowl top would lend itself to a relatively easy repair. The birds-eye would be the same a few millimeters down. If the asking price was right, I guess it would be worth the repair effort.

I do find this issue in pipes owned by pipesmokers with failing eyesight, some shapes and stem angles are more prone to that kind of damage.

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
That one is definitely scorched. Those marks are really difficult to remove, and can only be done by forever altering the profile. But, that shape and bowl top would lend itself to a relatively easy repair. The birds-eye would be the same a few millimeters down. If the asking price was right, I guess it would be worth the repair effort.

I do find this issue in pipes owned by pipesmokers with failing eyesight, some shapes and stem angles are more prone to that kind of damage.
i agree. The photos suggest that you would have to take of at least 4-5mil maybe more. it really is quite bad. it's on the bay if you want to see the photos. Just think you would have to go to far down for me. but your right that profile can lend it's self to a repair.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
A little care and practice will make it easy to light without staring at the bowl—so it can be done while driving, watching a movie, or in a post coital stretch.
It's not the view that's the challenge. It's one hand on wheel, one hand on lighter and the lack of a steady clench while driving on the post Chicago winter (potholes) roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.