PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I
Some serious tea expertise here in the pipe forum. I’d love to hear from all of you where are you by your tea!
I haven't bought tea in a long time. I either stopped enjoying it or stopped lying to myself that it was as good as coffee.

I still have a quarter pound of Temi Estate tea I brought back from India but it's old and has seen better days.

And I've got a bunch of Puerh which will last me forever which I picked up randomly-a local tea shop, San Fran, ordered from Dragon Tea House in Shanghai, etc.

• Love
Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If you work at a grocery store, try some Bigelow Oolong or Twinings Lapsang Souchong. Twinings Prince of Wales is a good Kee Mun or true English Breakfast tea. Some Darjeeling is really good, but some supermarket brands are iffy. Unfortunately, the most common bagged mixed Assams, Ceylons, and Kenyans are usually astringent, metallic, and harsh if you don't add sweetner, milk, ice, or some combination of the above. They tend to make great iced or milk teas, just not so great straight up, unless you're one of those folk that chews on lipton bags between cups.
I love that shit. I must love bad tea. Haha

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I

I haven't bought tea in a long time. I either stopped enjoying it or stopped lying to myself that it was as good as coffee.

I still have a quarter pound of Temi Estate tea I brought back from India but it's old and has seen better days.

And I've got a bunch of Puerh which will last me forever which I picked up randomly-a local tea shop, San Fran, ordered from Dragon Tea House in Shanghai, etc.
A friend from Nepal just gave me a box of Temi! I've managed to coax a delicious chocolate covered raisin flavor from it occasionally. The slightest range in temperature seems to make the difference between nothing and a flat plain ol supermarket Darjeeling, but that sweet spot is heavenly!

Reactions: rajangan

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
If anyone is looking for good tea, check out Yunnan Sourcing. Both the Chinese and US distributor. If you sign up to their mailing lists, they regularly send out coupons and alerts when types go on special. They carry many teas from both Yunnan and Fujian. Also a great source for Rock Oolong and Silver Needle. I even got a semi fermented Silver Needle once that was caked like puerh and simply amazing!

Reactions: rajangan

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
If anyone is looking for good tea, check out Yunnan Sourcing. Both the Chinese and US distributor. If you sign up to their mailing lists, they regularly send out coupons and alerts when types go on special. They carry many teas from both Yunnan and Fujian. Also a great source for Rock Oolong and Silver Needle. I even got a semi fermented Silver Needle once that was caked like puerh and simply amazing!
Brilliant! That’s where I order from! I appreciate the teas selections that you suggested.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Brilliant! That’s where I order from! I appreciate the teas selections that you suggested.
I mostly buy relatively inexpensive shou cakes from them, but I always throw in some Purple Needle as well. Also, I believe everyone should try Ya Shi Xiang Dan Cong Oolong (King of Duck Shit Aroma) at least once!!! I don't know what they feed the ducks over there, but the tea tastes of apricots and a hint of peach!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Contrary to common belief, there is more caffeine in all white tea, and some green teas, than in most black teas. The catechins compete for receptors and the higher acidity causes less absorption. Fermentation (really a controlled oxidation) in black teas makes the caffeine more absorbable, and enzymes destroy many of the competing compounds.
Very similar to why perique and some burley seems to have more nicotine. The processing makes it more absorbable, and the high sugar content of VA acts as a buffer.
Kind of reminds me of how they measure nicotine in most tobacco products. It's quite different then how it's absorbed into the body.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I like the sticky rice puerh. I only had one as a gift. It's flavored with a local herb called Semnostachya menglaensis.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.