PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
So, I have been smoking cobs for a few months and am ready to take the plunge on getting my first briar. My budget is $50-75. I 'think' I would like an acrylic stem, brown and somewhat simple design, and decent size bowl. I suspect at this stage I will mainly be smoking 1-Q.
This is what I am thinking about buying....
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rossi/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=328197
What do you think? Is there something else that is a 'great smoker' for about the same price range that I should consider?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
002-577-5156.6819.jpg

That looks like a very simple, straightforward pipe that is easy to smoke. That is not a bad choice at all. Are you considering estates or new?
Really it all comes down to preference and opinion, but to my eyes that's a solid first briar.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I bought my first Rossi a month or so ago, and so far, I am quite pleased. I just smoke it without the filter or adapter, and it's a good performer. I think your choice would make a fine first pipe.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I would save my money and get an older Comoy or Chacom estate off eBay. For me pipes are about class and beauty. Might as well get something you are proud of. If you save a little longer you could get a decent older Ashton or Dunhill.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I’m going to second estate search. Some of my best smokers are estates from venerable houses. eBay sellers like Pipestud, Valitchka, shiny pipes, Tim West and many others offer great finds. Well refurbished and clean. Sometimes you’ll find unsmoked estates as well. Don’t get me wrong, I like buying new pipes too; but if your budget is under $80 I think a great estate will be a nicer longer term investment. Good luck enjoy the hunt.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Another option...
https://www.pipestud.com/product/tobacco-pipes/new-pipes/scott-klein-unsmoked-burner-pipes/
https://www.pipestud.com/product/tobacco-pipes/new-pipes/scott-klein-unsmoked-burner-sandblast-finish-pipes/
:)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
+1 on Savinelli (rossi is actually savinelli's low end line). Spend the $75-100 on a new, or better yet estate Sav that is in good shape and it will be well worth it. SP should have a huge selection of both.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I would be tempted with one of those Scott Klein burners Dave posted. I’ve never smoked one, nor a Rossi. I sold off all of the Savinellis I ever bought except for a 320. So I’m not much of a Sav fan. Rossi makes an 8320 I noticed. The 320 has a nicely shaped chamber that’s sort of like an inverted volcano. There’s probably a term for that, but I like it anyway.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Stanwell makes great pipes with acrylic stems. Always drilled right, always a nice draw. For a near guarantee of a decent pipe at c. $75, Stanwell is what you want.
Some will recommend Savinelli for similar reasons, but I've never had one, so I'll defer to others on that.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Actually, Stanwells can be had for closer to $50 in certain finishes.
https://www.tobaccopipes.com/stanwell-pipes/?sort=priceasc

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I agree with others that a Savinelli would be a great first briar, but I'm also partial to Dr. Grabow Royaltons. I own two and for the price their great smoking pipes that can handle any blend well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I second all posted recommendations. I have two Rossi's, which are a Savinelli product, and find them good smokers, durable, and good looking. The Scott Klein pipes, though I hadn't heard of them, look excellent, and are a little more distinctive than Rossi's, though perhaps there isn't as wide a selection. Pipesandcigars, one of our sponsor online retailers sells brushed black and brushed brown Stawell series for about $50. Take all of these under consideration for building a rotation over time at a good price, if you choose. That's not a bad price level. No one will swoon over a modest priced pipe, but good name brands at that price level usual give you as good a smoke as any.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
If I were to recommend a Stanwell, I would look for a Danish made estate pipe. Smokingpipes always has some interesting choices.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/denmark/index.cfm?tag=298&page=1
:)

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Though I can't explain why, I've always had a preference for Stanwell over Savinelli. I have several that are keepers.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I’m going to suggest that you find a shape you really like (billiard, Bulldog, Lovat, etc) and then use the pipe searcher on Smokingpipes to figure out what is available in that price range. There are a lot of good smokers available, but if you don’t like the shape/feel you won’t want to smoke it as much as one you really enjoy. After that, simplicity is better. I prefer straight to bent, and I don’t use filters so I don’t like filter pipes with an adapter, as it’s an extra piece. Also an estate pipe will be a better value, and you don’t have to fuss as much about break in as with a new pipe.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
I may be corrected here but you could also look on ebay for good pipes that you like of the brandes suggested here.

If you put your budget limit as max bid sooner or later you will get lucky. You can also get very lucky.

I got a Savinelli autograph for less than 40$.

Status
Not open for further replies.