PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2020
USA
My advice would be for anything you consider a necessity of secondary priority. (when running out of food, looking for food, number 1).

Stock up on your favorite tobacco. Make sure you have a way to keep it at the right humidity. Don't let your stores" go unattended." Make sure you pamper those tobacco stores. make sure there are proper environmental controls of the tobacco you keep.

For example, I'm a huge smoker of Early Morning Smoke by Peterson's. Those tins are sealed and good for a good long time unless the tin is damaged. I have 5 tins unsealed, as I use 1 tin unsealed.

The reasoning being, if they stop producing the blend, I have some time to adjust to a new blend.

Also, don't be afraid to try something new. Start of slow, but get samples. Most tobacco stores, or they should, be willing to give you samples (with reasonable requests). If you want samples, observe, smell, but ask for 1 or 2. Become a friend to your local tobacconist. Once you find something you like, go back and buy, don't go to the internet. What you find in your tobacconist isn't what you find on the internet. This is important. If you are buying in bulk, in the jar at your tobacconist and you find what you like, go back and buy again and help that tobacconist stay in business.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

JohnClyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2020
UK
Hello from another newb to the forum but also from the north of the UK!

The closest I've found here in the UK to the classic original Balkan Sobranie, at least for that smooth, melded, incense-like, oriental-forward English note is Germain's 1820 Flake and less so with Special Latakia Flake. Its not identical (no yenidje leaf I don't think, and even if it had...) but to me at least they share a similar profile. Alas proving trickier to get in the UK as Germains seem to be permanently out of stock at the moment! But it will eventually be back in stock.

I've always found Peterson/Dunhill latakia mixes more the full, savoury leathery, occasionally harsh, latakia and less the luxurious, melded, smooth and rich.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Excuse me but it wasn't that long ago when you came to our shores and we had a war. I wasn't there personally but I have a long memory. You want help from us, then pay the tax. No free rides even though it has been a couple of hundred years ago.

Oh ok, I will let it go. I would recommend the following blends that a Red Coat might enjoy.
Capstan Blue Flake
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
Escudo
Peterson Irish Flake
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro
Solani 660 Silver Flake and 633

If you choose anything but these blends then you are wasting your time and money. My recommendations are second to none.

All of these are readily available at one of our sponsors. I would go with smokingpipes..com, tobaccopipes,.com, 4noggins.com

After all these years I accept your apology for the war you started and we finished. lol

Reactions: JohnClyde

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Thank you Gentlemen, I appreciate your instant response, but I think I may have, (as we say in England) 'Dropped a clanger', and joined a USA based forum. I am in the north of England. please forgive my mistake.
kindest regards to you all. I have many fond memories of studying Barbershop Harmony at Missouri Western State College. Roy.
Welcome from the land Down Under.

Haven't read all the replies but I'm sure a fellow Brit could advise how to order tobacco from the U.S. where it's really cheap [Here in Nany State Australia 50g of baccy is now over $120, grrrrrrr]
Leading up to Christmas is the easiest time of year to sneak baccy past the keeper.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
Good morning Roy,

here in Germany we look at Huber's English Balkan as the closest BS relative. Should (at least for the rest of this year) be quite easy to obtain as most German retailers deliver to the UK.

Best, Stefan

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
Thank you Gentlemen, I appreciate your instant response, but I think I may have, (as we say in England) 'Dropped a clanger', and joined a USA based forum. I am in the north of England. please forgive my mistake.
kindest regards to you all. I have many fond memories of studying Barbershop Harmony at Missouri Western State College. Roy.
I'm in county Durham. There are still many on line tobacçonist in the UK.

Try tobacco reviews .com for ideas as to what you want to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.