PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I was finally able to acquire a few ounces of Deer Tongue leaf. I love Crooner, but want more Deer Tongue in it, so I'm going to add my own to the blend. I'm also going to try my hand at creating my own blend using leaf with a lighter flavor profile, probably a good quality straight Virginia that, I hope, will allow the Deer Tongue to shine. Wish me luck!20210226_000550.jpg

I've had a few blends with deer tongue, one was even a home blend by a friend. It is an interesting dirty vanilla taste, very pipey smelling. I liked it ok, but I can't say that I'm a fan. Sort of like a lot musicians... I can listen when it's on the radio, but I'm not buying the album.

Nice haul. I wonder how long of a shelf life it has before it is blended... or even after it's blended.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I've had a few blends with deer tongue, one was even a home blend by a friend. It is an interesting dirty vanilla taste, very pipey smelling. I liked it ok, but I can't say that I'm a fan. Sort of like a lot musicians... I can listen when it's on the radio, but I'm not buying the album.

Nice haul. I wonder how long of a shelf life it has before it is blended... or even after it's blended.
I guess we'll see! I'm going to jar it up today in hopes of preserving it while I experiment.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Good luck with your blending.

I once asked Steve Books to add a little deer tongue to my go to blend at the time and it created kind of a dessert version. When Steve wasn't available anymore, I got some of the herb and tried mixing it up myself. Unfortunately the deer tongue I got had an unpleasant soapy quality to it.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I happen to be one of those who likes deer tongue and my favorite blend that has this is Samuel Gawith's 1792 Flake. It is typically a condiment that you can add to tobacco but it is strictly a love it or hate it addition.
I think I could smoke it straight! I may even try!

Reactions: kcghost

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Well, I put 3 blends together. I opened a tin of Gentlemen Caller (I prefer Crooner, but I'm out) and added some Deer Tongue. I also did a 4:1 mix of F&T Golden Mixture and Deer Tongue and a 4:1 mix of Sutliffe Virginia Slices, rubbed out, and Deer Tongue. I only mixed up about two bowls of each to try. I figure it's a good starting point. I can dial it in from there. I'll try some of each tomorrow.

• Wow
Reactions: canucklehead
Status
Not open for further replies.