PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Ladies and Gents,

I received a very nice Danish looking pipe as part of an estate dispersal for the widow of a deceased collector. She knows nothing about her late husband's pipes and can't identify the maker of this one. It is extremely well made and of high quality all the way. But, I can't find any information regarding the logo which is on the bottom of the stem. It's an interlocking HP. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

SteveIMG_8387.JPGIMG_8390.JPG

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Don't know about the HP stamp but the pipe looks similar to a Stanwell Danish Star 124.
DanishStar124.jpg

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
That my friend is an early Hewlett Packard, built in the garage by the Dave and Bill when they were looking for ideas to launch their business. Unfortunately for the pipe world threat broke out and Dave and Bill had to but their mind to more scientific things, which lead the great success for the company. After retiring, they considered going back into the pipe business but after repeated warnings by the Danish Freehand Mafia, lead by Sixten "The Knife" Iverson (who had stolen may of their prototype designs) and Dave finding his dogs severed head floating n his pool, they decided to give up the endeavor.

garage1.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For me anyway, trying to out-guess pipestud on a pipe i.d. would be a fool's errand. But I'll watch this thread while our pipe scholars attempt the feat.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
On that link it says he uses "HP" for his nomenclature...

I can see where the way the verbiage was stated could confuse you, 3rdguy. I remain a little confused myself. Here's what Pipedia says: "Stamp: Handcut by Holger. Symbol: HP. And although grainy, here's the photo of the nomenclature Pipedia uses. I'm guessing the HP symbol might be what that is, but sure doesn't look like an interlocking HP to me.

Z.jpg

Reactions: BROBS and 3rdguy

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I can see where the way the verbiage was stated could confuse you, 3rdguy. I remain a little confused myself. Here's what Pipedia says: "Stamp: Handcut by Holger. Symbol: HP. And although grainy, here's the photo of the nomenclature Pipedia uses. I'm guessing the HP symbol might be what that is, but sure doesn't look like an interlocking HP to me.

View attachment 28833
Very true..

Hopefully someone pops in later and will spot it.

Reactions: BROBS

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Could it be Henri Pipes?

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Could it be Henri Pipes?

Some of those pipes look very similar in style to PipeStud's pipe, but on IG, there is a close-up of his stamp:
1588708367625.png

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Could possibly be an early Heinemann piece as he uses the same HP logo format as that now, just way more stylized.

I think that is very possible, SATX. I just took a photo from Blue Room Briars website of one of the nice Heinemann pipes that Jesse and Scott have for sale. And the logo looks like a slightly more refined version and has the year of make along with the HP logo. What do you guys think after comparing the two? Here's the one I just blew up from the Blue Room Briars website -

zzz.jpgIMG_8390.JPG

Reactions: 3rdguy and Jwebb90
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think you can't be certain. And since I like you so much, I'll do you a favor and send you $40 plus $6 for shipping for the pipe as soon as you accept. This will avoid all this stress and take this unknown, unidentified pipe off your hands. Your flawless, impeccable reputation could be scarred a bit by selling an unknown pipe on eBay. Why take a chance? I know you have my address, let me know when you're ready for me to send money Steve.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I think you can't be certain. And since I like you so much, I'll do you a favor and send you $40 plus $6 for shipping for the pipe as soon as you accept. This will avoid all this stress and take this unknown, unidentified pipe off your hands. Your flawless, impeccable reputation could be scarred a bit by selling an unknown pipe on eBay. Why take a chance? I know you have my address, let me know when you're ready for me to send money Steve.

Thank you for the offer, Hoozz... and this is just another reason why I think you are one of the nicest guys I ever met despite what everyone else says. I am going to take your offer under consideration with thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.