PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The cost of a print version would depend on several factors: Whether it was a glossy paper stock or just the cover was glossy, the size of the pages, the number of pages, the type of press used, how much the magazine and sales staff were paid and the number of copies per issue printed. Oh! I forgot mailing costs.
When I retired from the position of managing editor of a monthly hunting and fishing magazine, our break even cost per issue was around $5,000 per month for 30,000 copies of a 40 page magazine. That was because a printing company owned the magazine. The same publication printed for someone else would have cost $6,500 minimum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Love the mock-up cover. Being an old print guy, who actually co-majored in magazine journalism, I lament to see the hardship of paper magazines. My wife as a retired journalist gets several free subscriptions simply because the pubs want to pump up their circulation figures for advertising revenue. Publications close and circulation declines nearly across the board every year, and the bad publications drive out the good ones. Kevin is an astute businessman and isn't going to stick his head in that wood chipper.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Javan, that was KILLER! You're a GEEEEENIUS!!
500 via paypal and I will send you the next issue. Cosmic will be the centerfold
Peck, I'll pay you $500 NOT to do that!!
There would have to be a Brothers of The Black Frigate column
Anthony, you're now our Marketing Director!!
Bill

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Kevin is an astute businessman and isn't going to stick his head in that wood chipper.
Fully concur, Tom. In my biz we've been hearing "Print is dead" for 20 years at *least*. It may be slimmer than it once was, but dead, no, & I hope not in our lifetimes!
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bnichols23, I don't think paper printed material will disappear. I read a lot on paper that I could read electronically. For one thing, I do that because I don't get spirited away to retail sites, news, and other distractions. I think paper catalogs effectively supplement online sales too, for that matter. But it sure isn't my grandfather's or father's, or even my magazine and print market. Sort of like radio after TV arrived, when it found a huge niche, but a different niche. Long live print on paper. I read a newspaper or two nearly every day, which makes me atavistic I guess. My dad read The Chicago Tribune on his way to work on the commuter train, and The Chicago Daily News (long gone) on his trip home, so I got to read The Daily News.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
LOVE the spoof @jvnshr. So clever.
Do us a favor (PLEASE) and post one of those cover spoofs monthly.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
As an old newspaper reporter for 45 years, I'd love to see a print version of PM. But that ain't happening in today's world, sad to say.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Wow, thanks a lot guys.
Bah!!! Javan, I am left with the nasal burn of spew'd coffee from my nose from laughing. Hilarious!!
Some Kentucky Dark Fired will heal that burn Michael.
Do us a favor (PLEASE) and post one of those cover spoofs monthly.
That is a good idea actually. I marked this one as December 2018 issue. There will be a special Christmas issue as well :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.