PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
In these days of remote and impersonal service, here's one Company that still does business the old way. I ordered a pipe from pipesandcigars.com. inexpensive, but attractive looking. Filled it, and began smoking, and it worked fine. When I attempted to run a pipe cleaner through it, I discovered that the bore on the bit and shank did not match up, and it as not possible to insert a cleaner. When the pipe had cooled, I attempted to take it apart and see what the issue might be, but discovered that the tendon fit so tightly into the mortise that it was impossible to separate the two. I sent an e-mail to the company, alerting them to the issue, and within minutes had a response e-mail from Bob Gates advising me that a new pipe was already in the mail to me. Now that's what I call customer service!

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Eric: There definitely is a g-d in pipe heaven. He was on your side this afternoon.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Ever have one of those days when you wish the earth would open up under your feet and swallow you? Reference my first posting on this thread, in which I complimented pipesandcigars.com on their old-fashioned customer service. To reiterate: minutes after I complained about a pipe I had received from them, I got an e-mail from Bob Gates telling me that a new pipe was on its way. There's a vendor for you!
Now here's the kicker: when the pipe came, I realized that it was not the pipe I had purchased from this vendor, rather it was a pipe that I had purchased from smokingpipes.com. Boy--was I ever embarrassed! But the job had to be done, so I phoned this vendor, and spoke to Ted Swearingen, and explained the situation to him. Also a true gentleman, Ted said not to worry, and immediately put a new pipe in the mail to me. Then the really embarrassing part: I phoned Bob Gates, and explained my error to him, and he too was the perfect gentleman. He told me to keep both pipes, and enjoy them.
So here we are: one defective pipe, two very fine gentleman, each representing a company that lives up to the highest standards of doing business. And that's the whole point. Pipe smoking is a gentleman's art; it is relaxing, contemplative, entirely the opposite of cigarette smoking, which is compulsive and nervous. Those who smoke pipes, both male and female, tend to be relaxed and unhurried individuals, wishing to see others in the best possible light. Those purveyors who provide for our needs are of the same caliber. We are indeed fortunate to be pipe smokers, gravitating toward a hobby that distinguishes us in many ways, but the best part of it is the community we have generated--smokers, blenders, pipemakers and vendors. Consider yourselves fortunate my friends. Pipe smoking appears to be a vanishing art--but who knows--perhaps the world could be made better if we would spread our good will, bringing others into the coterie of those who find pleasure in drawing in, and being enveloped in a fine cloud of tobacco smoke. More smoke than fire? Ah yes, perhaps there's entirely too much fire out there. I'll settle for the smoke.
Thanks to these two fine vendors who tolerated my mistake with such grace and aplomb, and whose response to my situation represents the very pinnacle of good business practice.
Sitting here in Cheshire Connecticut, enveloped in wreaths of Anniversary Kake.

obelus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I've done business with both and never had a problem for them to correct-- and given my experiences with e-commerce that's saying something. Thanks for calling attention to these great companies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I tip my hat to both Mr. Swearingen and Mr. Gates, and give them both my word that I will buy many more pipes and much more tobacco from them in the future.
I.....promise! :mrgreen:

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
Every time I order from P&C I get three emails from them, the first says something like you have done your job by ordering from us, now sit back relax and let us do our job. The second usuall late in the afternoon says some like your order is packed ready to go, the last one usually the next morning give me all the shipping info and A tracking number. I always get A kick out of them, but it is good to konw they care so much about customer service.
Last week I ordered A pipe from another company, I got A email from paypal sayint the pipe was paid for, that is the last I have heard from the sale. Hopefully the pipe is on the way, just the difference between two companys

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
ravkesef, as a former vendor, a patient man. . and on occasion a very stupid one -- I completely understand your err, and am very glad at your good fortune to experience it in the presence of the dying breed.
tommy, I think you've strayed onto the whole point of it all in that. Your word (and you have no idea how good I feel on the rare occasions I hear someone give it, and mean it with everything that it truly should be), and their word, and really -- all of us as gentlemen and ladies of any character.
The mistake was accepted, treated kindly, and the err (both real and accidental misappropriation) corrected with all due swiftness and willingness -- and it is on the unspoken promise that we are all men of our word, and one good turn damned-well gets another, and a favour is never forgotten. . .and if I keep talking I'll either end up quoting my father or The Godfather so I'll just let it alone at that.
As a slight aside, rather than be offended at the slight of cigarette smokers, I'd rather point out there are exceptions. In my experience all of those exceptions are men who also smoke pipes, but they do exist. I firmly believe myself to be such n exception. ---- Have I smoked a cigarette in haste? Yes. Do I tend to smoke my pipes a bit to hard or fast? Yes. . . but I've never done anything less than delight in smoke upon my tongue, or falling within my lungs, from any source.
I have never in my life smoked a cigarette because "I needed a a fix.", though when angered badly enough (very, very rare) I have been known to take a brandy to smooth out the edges before having a cigarette, or more likely a cigar or pipe in such a scenario -- to drown the world away with sensuous embrace of the fairest lady to ever enter my life, sweet, sombre, ever-so tender smoke.
I firmly believe a good cigarette can be as. . . yes I do want to use the word 'romantic' as a pipe. I'm sure many of you can see the term clearly in the experience of a pipe, but it exists in cigarette for those who know where to look. .. and of course who love the taste and slow inhalation, and the flow of that bitter, sometimes almost acrid. . but in the sweetest hazelnut or ameretto sense of it, moving over the bitter points of his tongue, then to the salty and at least what blessed little sweet is to be had.
Perhaps cigarettes are only gentle and beautiful when enjoyed as a gentleman does -- slowly and decidedly, powerful and yet so tender. ... But there it is.
*coughs with some embaressment* I am, a bit of an old romantic I fear, and unlike any woman I might have, or might in the future, ever love/d --- our fine Lady Grey, the lovely Tobacco is ever-ready to meet you by the fire with your slippers and a good book as you sink into your favourite chair.
But that's enough of my old-time poetics for one day.

mowens

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2011
I have to agree that the folks at smokingpipes.com do customer service the right way. I always order from them for any tobacco needs. Very nice folks. :clap:

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
This is enjoyable reading. Thanks for sharing those posts,they have brightened my day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.