PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeWI

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2023
Somerset WI
I have a rack on my office wall where I mostly smoke and it holds 30 pipes, and generally I move through it regularly so as to rest recently smoked ones. But I find that I do skip some and then they kinda just sit there until I get a new one that requires me to move it to the pipe storage... and once I have enough, I sell them on. I find it interesting how some pipes that I just loved once are now sitting in a box, sad an lonely.

Reactions: Browny and Steddy

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
There are a handful of Estate pipes I've bought on a whim that don't get a ton of use.
They get quickly supplanted by nicer pipes.
I plan to take them all up to our camp this summer.
"Camp pipes"
That's my new designation for the orphans.

captchaos

Lurker
Oct 15, 2016
Yes I have some "vintage" pipes like a gourd calabash and one or two other oddities like a carburettor pipe that I don't use. I should probably put them on eBay for others to get use out of them .also have a brand new Vauen that I just can't bring myself to use. Its just to handsome for my plebian smoking self to mess up 😜

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I have collected freehand pipes for many years, I have smoked many of them but not a lot, I also collect Petersons but they all get smoked, some more than others but all are on rotation, my early pipes from the 60's never get smoked, they are only for nostalgia, might smoke them on my deathbed. :)

Browny

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2022
Great Southern Land
I have to admit I have more I haven't smoked than I have/do smoke.

Short version.
7 that I have/do smoke and 10 that I don't/haven't yet smoked.
I have only bought 1 pipe in the last 7 years (received it just last Friday) and that will be in use by the weekend, so that will make 8 smoked and 9 not.

If you're bored or want to read a mini novel, get comfy and read on.

Couple things to understand first...
Other than I am a little different to some, there's never been anywhere near the options down this way that most other people are lucky to have (yes I'm a bit jealous lol).
We have no dedicated pipe stores at all, and only 2 good pipe 'relatable' B&M's that I know of, both in a state I no longer live in, so supporting them is more effort now.

I enjoy my main smokers and honestly, I could easily get by with just the core 4-5 pipes, especially at my current pace, but where's the fun in that?

I did a year or so of researching at the beginning and was comfortable online estate shopping, under $100 range, the higher end is a far tricker place to tred.
The following are all estates bought across perhaps a 6 month window, in no order.

I bought a monster of a sitting poker for a bit of a display piece, meer' lined and stamped "Made in Tanganyika" with a Rhino on the stem, I've misplaced the information I had on it unfortunately.
There's a little hole in the very bottom of the meerschaum lining. It supposedly can be repaired or even smoked as is.
It's a very large bowl/pipe.

The others I bought with full intentions of smoking for that 'different pipes smoke differently' experience, but before I had a chance to even clean them we had to store some stuff and move, their box accidentally ended up inside one of the stored boxes.
By the time everything was back out of storage I had again bought myself a rotation, and forgotten about them to be honest. Before unpacking everything again, we moved again, then moved interstate ...another long story.

They've finally been getting unpacked and a cleaning recently but I doubt they will be smoked now, there's a little age on a couple plus since in my possession they're getting into 8+ years unsmoked. There's an unsmoked Butz Choquin, Palace Rouge, I'm not sure I now wish to marr with a flame.
I need to make myself some storage for my pipes as they currently sit in the cupboard, if I can admire them regularly maybe I'll move on some of the better examples.
Who knows.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have to admit I have more I haven't smoked than I have/do smoke.

Short version.
7 that I have/do smoke and 10 that I don't/haven't yet smoked.
I have only bought 1 pipe in the last 7 years (received it just last Friday) and that will be in use by the weekend, so that will make 8 smoked and 9 not.

If you're bored or want to read a mini novel, get comfy and read on.

Couple things to understand first...
Other than I am a little different to some, there's never been anywhere near the options down this way that most other people are lucky to have (yes I'm a bit jealous lol).
We have no dedicated pipe stores at all, and only 2 good pipe 'relatable' B&M's that I know of, both in a state I no longer live in, so supporting them is more effort now.

I enjoy my main smokers and honestly, I could easily get by with just the core 4-5 pipes, especially at my current pace, but where's the fun in that?

I did a year or so of researching at the beginning and was comfortable online estate shopping, under $100 range, the higher end is a far tricker place to tred.
The following are all estates bought across perhaps a 6 month window, in no order.

I bought a monster of a sitting poker for a bit of a display piece, meer' lined and stamped "Made in Tanganyika" with a Rhino on the stem, I've misplaced the information I had on it unfortunately.
There's a little hole in the very bottom of the meerschaum lining. It supposedly can be repaired or even smoked as is.
It's a very large bowl/pipe.

The others I bought with full intentions of smoking for that 'different pipes smoke differently' experience, but before I had a chance to even clean them we had to store some stuff and move, their box accidentally ended up inside one of the stored boxes.
By the time everything was back out of storage I had again bought myself a rotation, and forgotten about them to be honest. Before unpacking everything again, we moved again, then moved interstate ...another long story.

They've finally been getting unpacked and a cleaning recently but I doubt they will be smoked now, there's a little age on a couple plus since in my possession they're getting into 8+ years unsmoked. There's an unsmoked Butz Choquin, Palace Rouge, I'm not sure I now wish to marr with a flame.
I need to make myself some storage for my pipes as they currently sit in the cupboard, if I can admire them regularly maybe I'll move on some of the better examples.
Who knows.
However you enjoy your pipes, enjoy your pipes!

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I’ve got a couple dozen good factory pipes that I’ve purchased as estates that don’t get smoked anymore. I’m just too lazy/ don’t want the hassle of trying to sell them but I can’t bring myself to just throw them away.

Reactions: PipeWI

Sinzalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2022
Wales
I have a brandy Baki Meer that I've smoked once. Nothing wrong with it at all it just looked a lot smaller in the photo when I purchased it. It's feckin' hooge!
It's ok if I want to smoke a 50g tin in one bowlful or if I have the urge to feel like a hobbit holding a bucket with a didgeridoo stuck in the side of it. Man alive. puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mostly I have culled pipes I don't smoke, traded them for store credit for something I will smoke. I don't own any as collector pieces. The really nice, higher priced pipes I own, I smoked regularly, if not as regularly as I should. I try to break myself of the habit of "saving" them.

I don't build cake, so I don't ream my pipes, just keeping that thin carbon layer in the chamber, and it works well for me. The chamber stays more or less its original size, making for longer smokes.

Old_Toby

Lurker
Apr 29, 2022
To be honest, from all the pipes i have bought over the years, I've never encountered a 'bad smoker' pipe. I'm just not familiar with that term, at least for now. 😄 I do have a couple that I find more comfortable and aesthetically pleasing than the others, but I still take a different pipe for every new smoke I have. Once i get to the end, I start again from the beginning. That way I never get enough, or get tired of one or more pipes. Cheers!

Reactions: Browny