PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Same for me for the last few years. I got on the waitlist for Starlink and finally recieved it in December. Complete gamechanger for me. And I highly reccomend it, if you’d want to look into it
I've read about it but never really felt the need. If it weren't a need to have available contact with my kids, I wouldn't even have a phone. No tech fascination I suppose.

Reactions: Piping Abe

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I try to be a pipe smoker more than a pipe collector. I get rid of pipes as I collect more. The only pipes I will never get rid of have sentimental value. And good thing that those few all smoke great.

I could just smoke Corn cobs and be happy. Or I could smoke just Dr. Grabows and be happy. Maybe one day, i’ll actually do it and get rid of rest.

To answer the OP, I smoke all my pipes. If they don’t get smoked, i’ll get rid of them someway. I have around 40 pipes I think

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm primarily a smoker of pipes, not a collector of museum pieces, but I do have several that I haven't smoked, like this unsmoked 1907 Baring companion set:
hzZwztQ.jpg

and a few other vintage unsmoked pipes. I enjoy having them and have no interest in smoking them. It's not like I lack for great pipes that I do smoke, like this 1883 Barling Magnum:
4mSbg1c.jpg

An unsmoked set like the companion set is a rarity and a time machine. Once smoked it's just another pair of old pipes. And that first match is going to be a very very expensive one. Smoking ancient briar requires some care and knowledge, as these pipes can be susceptible to cracking if smoked hot.

Some folks ask, aren't you curious about how that Barling set will smoke, and my answer is no. I know how they will smoke. I have plenty of other Barlings from that period that I do smoke.

Ultimately it's a personal choice not a group one.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
All of my pipes tend to get smoked, some more than others. I do have an old comoy's that I love but rarely smoke as I can't get rid of the lakeland ghost. lol

Usually if I have pipes I don't smoke I trade them in.

Reactions: Steddy

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Does anyone here have pipes that they don't smoke? Not talking about bad smokers, or broken pipes but rather perfectly good ones you just never use. I usually smoke every pipe I have unless they aren't good smokers. Have a few that are over a century old that I smoke. The exception to that are nine Walt Disney World pipes that I have that I have never smoked. Honestly don't know why I haven't, just never have.
Of my 4 Walt Disney World pipes, one is unsmokable, one is a Roop and I smoke it, another is a Canadian and I smoke it regularly, the last one is a Dublin that I have only smoked occasionally.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Does anyone here have pipes that they don't smoke? Not talking about bad smokers, or broken pipes but rather perfectly good ones you just never use. I usually smoke every pipe I have unless they aren't good smokers. Have a few that are over a century old that I smoke. The exception to that are nine Walt Disney World pipes that I have that I have never smoked. Honestly don't know why I haven't, just never have.
On an unrelated topic, I like your picture of Moe Howard.
In Argentina, The Three Stooges are religion, it has been regularly programmed on television every day for more than 60 years.
I wonder if they are as well known in the USA as they are here?

Reactions: Steddy and Ahi Ka

Volkditty

Lurker
Dec 4, 2022
I have two Dublins that I don't like to smoke. I can't get more than halfway through the conical bowl before it's too compacted to smoke further. I don't blame the pipe, I just have bad packing technique...but I have enough other pipes to love that they just sit in the back of the drawer.

I also have a really nice, big, carved meer that I only smoke once a month or so. Lovely pipe but too unwieldy for regular use.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
All my pipes are meant to be smoked. If there any I stop smoking for whatever reason, it goes.
I don't personally collect pipes for the sake of collecting. They have to be smoked, or else, I have no use for them to sit on a pipe rack and collect dust.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I have one 'uge pipe I smoke infrequently because I can't clench it easily, and two nice pipes I tend to smoke only when I travel.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Disney World pipes probably sell quite high these days with that well-known stamp, regardless of who made them. For some years, I owned a L.L. Bean pipe. I don't know who made it, but it looked to me like a Dr. Grabow. That one probably has an elevated price by now. It was a good serviceable pot shape with a stinger. I admit, it wasn't one of my favorite smokers so I traded it off.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I have several really nice pipes I haven’t smoked yet. There’s a few reasons why they remained unsmoked. When I first started smoking I anticipated screwing up a few briars. I can confirm I’ve screwed up a few briars.

Here’s a list of things I don’t do anymore. (Usually)
Smoke a pipe too hot.
Scorch the draft hole trying to burn up the dottle.
Suck the flame deep into the bowl on relights.
Now that my technique has improved I’m ready to not screw up a really nice pipe.

I like dedicating pipes to varietals and or specific blends. I am slowly figuring out what bowl dimensions work best for me. The time for breaking out the unsmoked stash of pipes is approaching and I am happy I didn’t carbonize the bowl of a Castello or Ardor.