Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Half the pipes I own I don't smoke. Not that I haven't smoked them. I just don't like them that much or I really liked them at one point, and now I don't enjoy them anymore. I keep some of them around for sentimental reasons, but they live in a shoebox.
Take my profile picture. Im smoking a Dracula. Once upon a time, I thought the stem was cool as heck. These days I compare the pipe to a toy. The plastic gimmicky stem turns me off. It sits in the box waiting to be gifted to the right person.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
In my heyday, I had around 75 pipes or so. When I stopped smoking for a while, I sold all but three of them. I have around 20 or so now. I've learned that when I get more than 15 or so, I stop smoking them all. I'm not sure what the exact number is. I keep going back to the same handful or so. I won't smoke a pipe if it doesn't speak to me in that moment. I never smoke a pipe "because I haven't smoked that one for a while." I don't know what kind of psychological tomfoolery happens, but if I keep it under/around 15, I will smoke all of them. Anymore than that, I guess I get overwhelmed with too many options, and my picker mood gets stunted. Suffice to say, I need to sell a good half-dozen of them. I'm not a collector. I appreciate collecting, but I'm too minimalist for that anymore. I don't like to have pipes laying around that I never smoke. Right now, I have maybe a dozen+ I never smoke, but if I'm right about myself, if I dump six of them, the other half-dozen will miraculously fall back into my mood rotation.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
A simpler answer to the original question for me is that yes, I have a few that I haven't smoked just because I'm waiting for the right time.

A few of them I'm waiting for the right opportunity to pass them on.

As far as the rest of my ramblings about pipes I prefer or not, I may do well to remember that even on my short journey, my tobacco choices sometimes change and vary randomly, so maybe some of my pipe choices and desires will also change? So I should keep some of the "uninteresting" ones around - you know, just in case?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you come up here and I'm tossing a pipe, you're welcome to it. But, I'm not posting pictures, packaging it, hauling to the PO and such, just not worth my effort. I've got other things to attend to.
^^^^This

The post office may as well be another town over from me and just isn't worth the time.

Reactions: Briar Tuck