PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd say that most Forums members have pipes they bought both new and used, or estate as the euphemism has it. Although many used pipes have previous owners that are still alive, thank you. Here a are a few pros and cons of each. Then just add your own ideas.

New pipes: Pro: Prices are more standardized within brands and specifications; no wear to consider; any abuse of the pipe is your own doing; you get maximum life out of the pipe; you get the pleasure of a new item; sanitization is less of a consideration. Any other pros?

New pipe cons: Higher prices; you have to break it in; any overt defects in the manufacture are all at your expense; availability is limited to what is marketable right now rather than the whole potential inventory of existing pipes. Any other new pipe cons?

Estate pros: Big price breaks, even some on unsmoked pipes; pipe is broken in; fewer manufacturing flaws to discover at much lower cost; historical variety and wider array if types; known histories of makers.

Estate cons: Greater wear; needed restoration; earlier owner abuse; sanitizing needs; etc. And you take it from here.....

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I am not getting your idea that there are negatives to new pipes. Price is simply what it is, higher or lower and if I see a pipe I desire ... price is really immaterial. It I miss a defect at purchase which only becomes descerable after smoking, back to the retailer or manufacturer it goes. If the pipe is not up to my standards after a few smpkes, that's my risk and out it goes. I only "shop" pipes when I'm in a shop so, availability is not an issue, it's on display and offered for sale.

And as most of the old timers here know, I have absolutely no interest in used pipes nor e-trade pipes. I must be able to fondle any prospective purchase.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I rarely buy a new pipe except for cobs. I am, in fact, parsimonious. By buying and restoring older (1940s-50s) pipes I’ve built a collection of nicely grained, great smoking pipes in a wider variety of shapes than I could have if I bought new.

Oct 7, 2016
Wow. A fresh topic. ?

I buy both. Pleasant results for both, as a general statement. But I have thinned the herd in recent months, and I noticed that the overwhelming majority among the culls were pipes I had purchased used. Not a bad smoker in the lot, but perhaps I subconsciously am more attached to pipes I have owned since new.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I prefer to buy new, and make the pipe "my own" the dings, dents, scratches, char marks makes it personal.

The only time I buy used, is when I'm bored and looking for a seriously broken pipe to repair. I hardly ever smoke the ones I fix.

Reactions: scloyd

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have bought both, but I prefer new pipes. Pipes are tools in my world and I just want them to perform well and fit my general preferences regarding looks, weight etc. I have no desire to own a high-end pipe or a rare antique.
I can easily see why some would, but I'm simply not into it.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I have only smoked new pipes. I have little interest in cleaning up estates at this point in my life. When I retire someday and have more free time to tinker....that could definately change. I prefer the idea that I am the first one to be drooling in the pipes that I smoke from ?

nick24601

Lurker
Jan 19, 2020
It depends what I’m getting the pipe for to be honest. All of my Virginia pipes are new. Most of my perique and Latakia pipes are used. If I where to get a pipe to smoke Lakeland or aromatic in I’d go with used. Oriental new.

its simply way to easy to find a perfectly restored pipe with no damage to not consider them a better buy when the blend you are planning on marrying to the pipe allows for it.

bmdfm

Lurker
Jan 13, 2013
Newport, New Hampshire
So far, I have only bought one estate and all the rest have been new pipes. That estate was an unsmoked pipe though, so I'm not sure that one really counts. I keep hearing about the cost savings when buying estate pipes, but every time I find one I like, it is much higher priced than I want to spend on a used pipe. Well, except for the one estate I bought. That one was priced right. I have no objection to buying an estate pipe if I found one I really liked and the price was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.