PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I snapped the tenon on my salvatella the other day. I was walking though the garden. It slipped right out of my mouth and hit a paving stone. I have dropped it before. And other pipes before. I knew I was going to break one sooner or later because this is a problem for me that doesn't seem to be getting better. And it may be getting worse. So I seek the advice of y'all.

I used to smoke only cobs, and though I would drop them in this way now and then, it didn't happen nearly so often. I don't know if it has something to do with the size of the stems, the material, the ridge, or what. I don't think it's the weight. I smoke a super light kaywoodie sometimes and it slips too far more than cobs.

Of course, I could teach myself to bite down harder. Or try to break the habit of clenching altogether. But are there other options? I don't mind dropping a pipe once in a while--I smoke inexpensive and fairly beat up estates for this reason. But I'd like to improve in this area. Oh, and I don't want to go back to cobs.

Thanks!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If you are faithful to the pipe, that means you're gonna have one in your hand or your mouth whenever the opportunity arises, and when you allow yourself to focus on something else, you can be so relaxed that you have a mishap. I hate it whenever something happens to a pipe that I like to smoke, but I try not to be overly distraught, realizing that I've got another 89 or so to try.
Really, I've had several different mishaps over the 8 yrs I've been piping, from knocking a pipe off a rack to a hardwood floor, to actually piercing a hole in the bottom of a favorite old Grabow Westbrook with my Check tool. I've even had mortises blow apart with a simple replacement of the stem. It sucks, but I think it's inevitable. Plenty moar where that came from!

I chock my pipes back on the molars behind my eye teeth, sometimes working forward into my eye teeth. This allows me to keep a pipe in place and relax my mouth around the stem in the corners of my lips. I’ve never had one fall out.
I see guys putting them straight out in their incisors, and it just looks wrong to my eye, and doesn’t give one a good hold.
I hope something here helps.

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Thanks to you all. I have the stem in my mouth all sorts of ways. Sometimes deep, sometimes not. Sometimes to this side, to the other, or up front. But much of the time I'm not literally clenching. That is, I'm not biting down on it. The middle of the stem, more or less, rests on my lower teeth and the end of the stem and/or ridge pushes against the upper teeth. The weight of the bowl keeps pressure on these to points and the pipe just balances there--until it doesn't. What seems to be happening is sudden lack of friction, which causes the pipe slide out. Sometimes when this happens the ridge will catch on my teeth and it won't fall (I just get ash all over me). Again, for whatever reason, this rarely happens with cobs. All of my cobs have narrower stems than than my briars. And cobs have plastic stems or acrylic while the briars have vulcanite or nylon.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Could be the stems on your briar pipes are less than ideal for clinching. I know thin and round stems are near impossible to clinch. It's a major parameter I look at before purchasing a pipe. I almost exclusively clinch, therefore, the stem work is of paramount importance. Flat, wide with a reasonable button for me. Other than that, not sure what could cause it, it's not rocket surgery.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
This is why I prefer a big button like on some of the Ashton and Castello pipes. It locks in and can’t move side to side on me. I think everyone’s teeth are different though and you have to find what works for you but when I got a newer Ashton with a very generous button and it locked in BOOM ? I was sold. Some don’t like them but I prefer them.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
It might be that there is not enough lip on the stem. If the stem has enough thickness at the lips you might try sanding it down of make the lips a little longer. Just be sure you don't sand it till you go through to the draft hole. puffy

Reactions: makhorkasmoker

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
I find that the stem material matters a lot. I have a Vauen with an acrylic stem so hard and slick that I can’t clench. But vulcanite or cumberland have a bit more give and hold better. Also the thinner the better. I doubt I’ll ever buy another pipe with acrylic.

Smokebacca

Lurker
Aug 7, 2022
Texas
Thanks to you all. I have the stem in my mouth all sorts of ways. Sometimes deep, sometimes not. Sometimes to this side, to the other, or up front. But much of the time I'm not literally clenching. That is, I'm not biting down on it. The middle of the stem, more or less, rests on my lower teeth and the end of the stem and/or ridge pushes against the upper teeth. The weight of the bowl keeps pressure on these to points and the pipe just balances there--until it doesn't. What seems to be happening is sudden lack of friction, which causes the pipe slide out. Sometimes when this happens the ridge will catch on my teeth and it won't fall (I just get ash all over me). Again, for whatever reason, this rarely happens with cobs. All of my cobs have narrower stems than than my briars. And cobs have plastic stems or acrylic while the briars have vulcanite or nylon.
I used to say I "clench" my pipes, especially while driving, but I'm not clenching or biting down so much as I let the pipe hang between my teeth as you describe. I find Softy Bits work great to stabilize the pipe and keep it from moving around so much. They help create that friction we need. I also have some craggy teeth that are hell on stems, so that helps keep the stems in good shape too. I've used both BJ Longs and Softy brands, they all work well. Softy makes them in different sizes and the 7mm are great for cob stems.