SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hi everyone,

I recently read I Am Legend, the book that inspired the Will Smith film. In it, the main character smokes a pipe in one chapt.
This made me think of other books I’ve read that feature pipe smoking: Sherlock Holmes (goes without saying), as well as Goodnight Mr Tom. Do any of you recall any books that feature pipe smoking?

admins: Apologies, I realise this probably would’ve been better suited in the General Discussion forum!

There are a lot of books. We've had whole threads of them. I can't recall them all, but the ones I was most impressed with was the Hangman's Daughter series. Amazon.com: The Hangman's Daughter (Hangman's Daughter Tales) (A Hangman's Daughter Tale): 9780547745015: Oliver Pötzsch, Lee Chadeayne: Books - https://www.amazon.com/Hangmans-Daughter-Tales-Tale/dp/054774501X
The author goes into a lot of detail, down to describing tobacco being taken down the canals, and how the tobacconists were loading them up with sugars and such to change the weights for tax reasons and such. Plus, they are just a great series of books.

Plus, as suggested by DAR, the writer, Richard Brautigan, included a lot of pipe smoking. But, in the few books I read at his suggestion, I found them to be some rather bizarre reading. Probably readers that like 60's style California writers would really enjoy them.

My brother in law, Scott Lunsford, direct descendant of Lamar Lunsford, a famous family for bringing the banjo out of the Blue Ridge to Nashville, writes a lot of cop and children's books. My meager contribution is turning him onto pipes. And, pipes are mentioned in most of his books, especially the coin based series, where the devil smokes a clay. But, he didn't go into as much detail as I gave him, ha ha. R. Scott Lunsford - https://www.amazon.com/R-Scott-Lunsford/e/B071RL3C7B?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_5&qid=1628685517&sr=1-5

I really can't stress enough how great the Hangman's Daughter series is, especially for those who would like Germanic historical mysteries. Plus, he does go into depth about tobaccos throughout the series. The author is obviously a pipe smoker.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Mystery novels of the "Golden Age" ('30s and '40s) are replete with references to characters' pipe smoking, just as though it were a common everyday thing. Which it was. Just one reason why they're my favorite recreational read. A different age and an escape from today's freak show. For anyone interested, I recommend as a reference A Catalogue of Crime, by Barzun & Taylor, if you can find it.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Who smokes a pipe on the wind and the willows :O? I never knew that!
Lotsa smoking there; though I reckon it's been 'sanitised' in recent editions.

Reactions: Derby and B.Lew

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
Mystery novels of the "Golden Age" ('30s and '40s) are replete with references to characters' pipe smoking, just as though it were a common everyday thing. Which it was. Just one reason why they're my favorite recreational read. A different age and an escape from today's freak show. For anyone interested, I recommend as a reference A Catalogue of Crime, by Barzun & Taylor, if you can find it.
I second this. The Inspector French novels of Freeman Wills Crofts are of this period. The inspector uses his pipe to think through the mystery.

B.Lew

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
Many William Faulkner novels have characters that smoke a pipe. Although it is usually a minor element to a character as smoking and tobacco in many forms would have been commonplace during the era. Lawyer Gavin Stevens in a few novels (most notably the Snopes trilogy) is referenced as having a corncob pipe and a jar of tobacco on his desk; fiddling with and even packing, but stopping just short of striking the match and lighting. It is an interesting element to his personality. I always interpreted that he appreciated the methodology and slowness to thought a pipe provides, but didn’t actually care for the act of burning and smoking. The element is most often highlighted during a intimate or moving dialogue with another character within his law office.

Reactions: RonB