PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
You only have 30 days to return tobacco.
This tin had no issues with the seal.
Bottom of the tin had no rust.
Just opened it this weekend.
It was an old tin.
I've had to move several to jars as they form tiny rust pits on the bottom of
the Classic Burly Kake, Anniversary Kake and Marble Kake over the years.
This is the first time I've gotten one moldy.
I check these twice a year to move to jars at the first sign of rust.
I've had a lot more of the Anniversary Kake and Burly Kake rust than Marble Kake.
I hated breaking the seals on a dozen 8–10-year-old tins but mines all in jars now.
I think the magic in aging happens when the tobacco is dreaming.
I hated waking the rest from beautiful dreams because of this nightmare.
marble.jpgmarble2.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good you caught them. I think they will go to dreaming again and age more and well.

Reactions: JOHN72

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
I don't understand how this can be "attributed" to P&C.

Foil lined cardboard tins obviously aren't a long term storage solution. And any manufacturer's product can get moldy.
I'm certainly not a mycologist, but I do have some experience with mold.
In my limited experience I've only had problems with mold when two conditions have been met:
something is wet
mold spores are present
I keep my tobacco inside my house in a spare bedroom. It's a clean dry temperature-controlled room.
This can never got wet. In fact open tins dry out and turn to dust in the same environment.
I am aware that this type of tin has limitations in its permeability to moisture but thought them impervious to mold spores.
My layman's guess is that the tobacco was packaged wet.

However all this is beside the point.

I don't expect tobacco regardless of packaging to carry a ten year warranty.
What I would have appreciated and didn't get was someone to listen.
What I did get was someone that quickly researched my account and couldn't find a purchase of this tobacco in the last 30 days, notified me of their return policy and ended the call.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Mold is always a given. It's not endemic to certain manufacturers or distributors.

If you store any quantity of tobacco over a long period of time, you run the risk of finding mold development. Most manufacturers go to great lengths to mitigate mold. However, blends are manufactured with the idea that they will be consumed within a finite period of time (weeks or months) and not decades.

Keeping your cellar dry and at a moderate temp (I keep mine at 60F -70F year round, my basement, and in the summer there's a dehumidfier running).

Some manufacturers/distributors are more liberal in their return policies, while others aren't.

The way I look at it is that I can't take a can of beans I had sitting in the pantry back to the store after 10 years because it got funky... I just have to take the loss.

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
Mold is always a given. It's not endemic to certain manufacturers or distributors.

If you store any quantity of tobacco over a long period of time, you run the risk of finding mold development. Most manufacturers go to great lengths to mitigate mold. However, blends are manufactured with the idea that they will be consumed within a finite period of time (weeks or months) and not decades.

Keeping your cellar dry and at a moderate temp (I keep mine at 60F -70F year round, my basement, and in the summer there's a dehumidfier running).

Some manufacturers/distributors are more liberal in their return policies, while others aren't.

The way I look at it is that I can't take a can of beans I had sitting in the pantry back to the store after 10 years because it got funky... I just have to take the loss.
I agree with you.
I’m going to keep buying from them.
Overall my experience with them is pretty good.
Ironically, this may be a tin they offered to exchange for me 9 years ago.
2074571A-3DB7-410A-9DAD-7DB29AAEA006.png

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
Last year after I had just started with the pipe more seriously, I made a pretty good order to Pipes and Cigars. The order was lost in the mail I called Pipes and Cigars they immediately resent the order no charge UPS (USPS was how the fist order was sent) I have placed a couple of other orders and they have been flawless. They also send me their nice catalogue.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
There are places where mold is endemic. Kind-of like with us humans. We all carry within us the pneumoccus bacteria, always just waiting for us to weaken enough for them to go wild on reproduction of itself, to kill us with pneumonia.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy