PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
According to the interwebs, Vilma Amorelli took over her father's business after his death, but apparently her son helps her now. I'm looking for a pipe by a female carver for my wife, who asked if there is such a thing. Does anyone know if Vilma carves exclusively any of her Amorelli pipes? Or if she would be open to commissions? Or if there are other female pipe carvers out there?

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Nanna Ivarsson, Scottie Piersel, Manduela, Silver Gray.

Not the cheapest of pipes but damn sure just as fine of pipes as any male pipe maker if not better. I always believed women have a way of seeing things differently then men, as such can really display itself in artwork, not just briar craft. I bet she would smoke a pipe you carved her, or she can carve her own with a pre drilled kit from a reputable site might make her a Piper for life. Good luck and I hope you and your wife enjoy your journey.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Flavia Rodrigues
Scottie Piersel
Sabina Santos
Manduela
Nanna Ivarsson
Silver Gray

All excellent. I am an especially big fan of Flavia’s work, and as far as unique style, it’s hard to find style more unique and instantly recognizable than Sabina Santos and Scottie Piersel.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Not the cheapest of pipes but damn sure just as fine of pipes as any male pipe maker if not better. I always believed women have a way of seeing things differently then men, as such can really display itself in artwork, not just briar craft. I bet she would smoke a pipe you carved her, or she can carve her own with a pre drilled kit from a reputable site might make her a Piper for life. Good luck and I hope you and your wife enjoy your journey.
Carving one myself is not a bad idea..... thanks!

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I have long been enamored with the lengthy angularity of Manduela's pipes when she uses those blue stems with bone accents.

I'll never own one, but I admire from afar.

Reactions: sittingbear
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I have long been enamored with the lengthy angularity of Manduela's pipes when she uses those blue stems with bone accents.

I'll never own one, but I admire from afar.

While I appreciate the skill set she has, the lines of many of her pipes are off-putting to me—although curved, they don’t feel graceful, but more awkward; they’re certainly distinctive and immediately recognizable. Maybe I just haven’t warmed to them yet (maybe I never will, but could).

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
While I appreciate the skill set she has, the lines of many of her pipes are off-putting to me—although curved, they don’t feel graceful, but more awkward; they’re certainly distinctive and immediately recognizable. Maybe I just haven’t warmed to them yet (maybe I never will, but could).

I hear you. Her attempts at more pronounced curves, as in a swan neck, hint at an artificial awkwardness that I can't quite put my finger on.

I had in mind her most distinctive shape -- the long-shanked bulldog. Even here I have a criticism -- the furthest extremity of the underline sometimes juts out too far, almost like an underbite:

Manduela underbite.PNG

Still, there is something about her long shanks (often cut to capture grain just right) with bone and blue tapered stems that call to me:

Manuela shank.PNG

One of the most compelling pipes I've seen from her--incorporating some of her distinctives and yet in different combination, and especially flawlessly--was this:

Manduela.PNG

...which I think I saw @Ben.R.C snag -- is that right Ben?