May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Don't forget Hungary!

logo.png

Reactions: Humblepipe

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Lots of interesting pipes in Brazil. This one is from the Tupi Guarani. I have one exactly like it, but mine is painted in red. The stem is a type of bamboo on mine, without knuckles, about the same length as this picture.

Instead of pipe cleaners, you just swap the stem when it's needed, if ever.

I also have a few figural carvings from the same tribe. Jaguars, turtles, anteaters. Sadly, this collection is at my house in Brazil, so no immediate pictures of my collection of this sort.

They smoke pretty good to me, but I only use them when with my friends there. Really strong rope tobacco mixed with herbs. Makes perique seem like a weak virginia.

The pipes that I have seen and used are made from a type of wood that is like balsa, but they don't burn out, despite seeming like they should. They're very durable.

First time I saw someone smoking these was when a friend took me to a village of his friends and there was an 8 year old kid puffing away. Then several more came out and joined him. Nobody said a word, but I was pretty surprised. It's quasi-religious for them, so they let the kids be.

Great pipes if you can somehow find one outside of Brazil.

depositphotos_166284930-stock-video-indigenous-woman-smoking-pipes-in.jpg

Reactions: craiginthecorn

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Lots of interesting pipes in Brazil. This one is from the Tupi Guarani. I have one exactly like it, but mine is painted in red. The stem is a type of bamboo on mine, without knuckles, about the same length as this picture.

Instead of pipe cleaners, you just swap the stem when it's needed, if ever.

I also have a few figural carvings from the same tribe. Jaguars, turtles, anteaters. Sadly, this collection is at my house in Brazil, so no immediate pictures of my collection of this sort.

They smoke pretty good to me, but I only use them when with my friends there. Really strong rope tobacco mixed with herbs. Makes perique seem like a weak virginia.

The pipes that I have seen and used are made from a type of wood that is like balsa, but they don't burn out, despite seeming like they should. They're very durable.

First time I saw someone smoking these was when a friend took me to a village of his friends and there was an 8 year old kid puffing away. Then several more came out and joined him. Nobody said a word, but I was pretty surprised. It's quasi-religious for them, so they let the kids be.

Great pipes if you can somehow find one outside of Brazil.

depositphotos_166284930-stock-video-indigenous-woman-smoking-pipes-in.jpg

Interesting. I have been to Brazil a few times, but was urban bound. I'd love to get out to rural areas to see/experience this kind of thing. Right up my alley.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Updated list:

Austria: Kemperling
Canada: Blatter and Blatter
France: Jeantet
Holland: Hilson
Hungary: Szabo
Ireland: Peterson
Japan: Tsuge
Israel: Alpha (Shalom factory - 70s and 80s)
Norway: Lillehammer
Poland: Mr. Brog
Sweden: Ratos

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kemperling it is. Between my aging eyesight and memory. It's a good pipe, stamped hand made and nicely finished.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Reviving this post to show some of the pipes I've acquired thanks to the recommendations made by some of you here. Over the past few months I have acquired and restored pipes from 18 different countries (as represented in the pipes' nomenclatures - perhaps not the whole story). Not sure why this kind of collecting appeals to me, but I'm enjoying it. Thanks for the recommendations gents.

Austria: Kemperling

Belgium: Hilson

Japan: Tsuge

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
Do specific countries of origin have specific nuances? What I mean is, for example, do French pipes bring something to the table that Italian ones don't and vice versa? Could you tell what country a pipe was from even if it wasn't stamped?

Reactions: Bowie and jpmcwjr

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Do specific countries of origin have specific nuances? What I mean is, for example, do French pipes bring something to the table that Italian ones don't and vice versa? Could you tell what country a pipe was from even if it wasn't stamped?

I don't have the experience to answer this question with authority. One thing I do know (learned from some of the veterans here) is that pipe parts are often made in multiple countries and then assembled in the one that ultimately takes the credit. For example, I understand that some Petersons (Ireland) are made with Spanish parts. Having said that, many Petersons utilize a unique stem (p-lip) that definitely have a unique feel. All that to say, it's complicated. Even so, I still enjoy collecting 'pipes around the world' knowing all of this.

Reactions: Bowie and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.