PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I only own a handful of pipes. I like really getting to know each one. I also like the look and feel of "well worn" things, guitars, pipes, vehicles etc. My cracked cob, scratched up Martin, rusty rattly jeep. I feel like I would appreciate my pipes less, if I bought any more. Not saying I'll never buy another, but you won't find me buying multiple at a time.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Like with every hobby I have to much of everthing. Recently I felt that I don´t own the things I have but they own me... :roll: Got to thin out a lot here indeed. :roll:

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
For business or special occasions, I have a white dress shirt that I wear with black or charcoal slacks, and a beige dress shirt that I wear with brown slacks. No amount of other shirts would ever diminish my need for these shirts.
I have Polo brand pull-overs for a casual night out. Now, if you've never owned an actual Polo brand shirt that didn't come from the "irregular" discount store, let me tell you, the cut is exquisite, the fit and finish amazing, and wearing one makes you feel like a million bucks. Of course, a $5 t-shirt will cover your torso just as well, but the experience just isn't the same. No amount of t-shirts would diminish the returns I get from my Polos!
And so it is with pipes. A cob might smoke similarly as other pipes I own, but that is not the extent of the experience. When I am in the workshop, I might smoke a cob just as I will wear a t-shirt. When I want to look sharp and feel good about myself, I will reach for a pipe with refined curves and lines, fit and finish. I have "dress pipes", and "casual night out" pipes, and no amount of pipes added to my collection would diminish the returns I get from these pipes.

I've given up trying to rationalize it. I just have a lot of pipes. And, I just buy what I like. But, my criteria for buying a new pipe gets tighter and tighter. It has to WOW me, in order for me to buy a new one these days.
I keep trying to cut back how much I smoke in a day (10-12 bowls down to 5-6), and so many of my pipes are not getting any action, but I cannot let them go. But, the need to buy, buy, buy seems to be diminishing. I don't even go to Ebay anymore at all. Which is great for my tobacco buying issues. More money gets swung over from pipes to tins in my budget.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I began quickly with around 40+ Dunhills. I've reduced that to a dozen high grade pipes and now will only add one commissioned Parks pipe per year and MAYBE one other random pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have a sufficient number of pipes. Still, I will browse a shop and if one attracts my eye, inspect it and possibly purchase. My pipes must all meet my expectations as smokers, if not, out they go. I have rarely possessed over thirty pipes, meers and briers, at any one time. Cobs, being cobs, do not count in my inventory. As I've said before, I consider cobs to be disposable, they really take a beating, pretty much always deliver a reasonable smoke but, they are in for a short relationship.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I think pipe collecting is similar to people who enjoy collecting stamps, coins, art, etc. Each piece has special meaning for whatever reason, and those that eventually quit being special are sold or traded. Pipe collecting certainly can't be compared with collecting shirts, britches or fancy underwear. Well, I take that back; I did meet a fellow once who said he enjoyed collecting women's dainties and that he was a member of an Internet forum of men who collected such articles. I broke the pipe I was smoking when it fell out of my suddenly ajar mouth.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
"Collectors" are just that...they, generally, don't do it thinking about how much they spend or the future value, they do it to get another of what they are collecting and when it comes in it is like Christmas Day...the joy is beyond value and there is no value on that joy.
I'm not a "collector". I'm also not the sort that buys something in a box, never taking it out and hoping someday it is worth a fortune type of collector...if I buy something new I "must" handle/fondle/play with it. I've done that with my small "collection" of knives. I've a few of my favorites and I use them all when appropriate...no drawer queens here. I have half a dozen of them...I had a few more but when I realized I didn't care that much about them I sold them off. Those I've kept are my favorites and I'll never sell them but pass them on to either my son, or someday hopefully, a grandchild.

The same is true about my pipes. I have decided on my favorite shapes...slightly bent Dublin and Bulldogs...and my favorite, to me, makers and models and have begun to collect them. I hope to have three Dublins...I have two...and at most six bullydogs...I have three and one on the way...I have a few others that were ebay auction buys and smoked them but found I didn't care that much about them and rather than try to sell them I've decided to gift them when called upon and needed...a few have gone already.
I especially like the researching, reading, etc. that I've put into my little collection. I have a history and story behind them that makes smoking them more enjoyable. I also have a number of them that is manageable, hasn't broken my bank...yet, and are smoked on a regular basis.
There are no diminishing returns here rather they have become more valuable, at least in my eyes, and in the end that is all that matters...to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.