PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonpipe

Lurker
Oct 11, 2009
Boston,MA
I too inherited the love of the briar from from dad. One of my favorite stories he told me was from his stay in England with the 8th Army Air Force as a waist-gunner in a B-17. Seems the airman were issued tobacco on a monthly basis, either cigarettes or an allotment of loose tobacco (I forget the amounts). He said he always chose the cigarette allotment. When I asked why he told me that they actually received more tobacco so he would just crush them up to fill his pipe. He kept a small briar in his flight jacket and as soon as they touched down he would light it the second he got off the bomber. He passed away in 2002 and I have that pipe and smoke it when feeling nostalgic about my first pipe smoking "Buddy."

nameshy

Lurker
Apr 20, 2010
I might be one of the oldest continuous pipe smokers still around and yet this is the first time I've heard a reference (twice in one post) to cigarette tobacco being emptied out and smoked in a pipe.
Has anyone replicated this? If so, can you tell us what smoking it was like?

tonypuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2011
I too feel sorry for the "Right Now!" generation..out of everyone i know i am the only pipe smoker, camping/fishing/hunting/4wheeling/outdoors fiend....everyone else is the igottaliveinthefastlane chainsmokeciggarettes goclubbingeverynight kind of people....

tonypuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2011
I might be one of the oldest continuous pipe smokers still around and yet this is the first time I've heard a reference (twice in one post) to cigarette tobacco being emptied out and smoked in a pipe.
Has anyone replicated this? If so, can you tell us what smoking it was like?
I have a friend who rolls his own cigarettes with PA and occasionally CBW seems to work out fine for him.

nameshy

Lurker
Apr 20, 2010
baskerville59 mentioned his great grandmother stealing his mother's cigarettes and putting the tobacco in her pipe.
bostonpipe mentioned his dad had a choice as an airman of a monthly allotment of loose tobacco or cigarettes and always chose the cigarette allotment because it had more tobacco - he would just crush them up to fill his pipe.
With the existence of RYO, etc. today, I suppose there would be no reason for anyone to do this. I just wondered if anyone had heard of someone who had tried this at some point in the past and also knew what the result was like.
I would be no judge of this myself because I've always disliked cigarettes.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
With the existence of RYO, etc. today, I suppose there would be no reason for anyone to do this. I just wondered if anyone had heard of someone who had tried this at some point in the past and also knew what the result was like.
I met a guy who buys tubs of Bugler cigarette tobacco to smoke in his pipe. He smokes that and nothing else. Why? Because he likes it.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
My friends wife talks about her grandfather doing this. Her dislike of all things tobacco came from a practice of smoking cigarettes down and then saving what was left of the smoked cigarettes. When he had enough he'd then fill a pipe with that remaining debris. She said the stench was horrible growing up.
I believe she's learning the error of his ways and is coming around more to appreciate the patient enjoyment of good tobacco in a pipe thanks to her husband and myself :)

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
nameshy: I tore up a couple Camel Turkish Royals a bit ago to test the waters. All I can note about it was it smoked hot and dry and tasted bitter. Moving past the bitterness though it really wasn't that terrible, and if you forget it's not still a Camel Turkish Royal and inhale it you get one hell of a nic hit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.