PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reorob

Lurker
May 6, 2014
Interesting indeed. It didn't really look like those you pictured or linked fellas. Although it is kind of hard to tell as this one was leather wrapped in a camel colored leather and had a black stem. The box was not like that either. It was a heavy paper construction, like a huge matchbox. Unfortunately, I didn't look it over as closely as I should have as I was not really looking for something like it at the time. I definitely think it merits a 2nd look the next time I am over that direction.
I will take some pictures of it when I do, assuming it is still there, and share them here. That is if I don't buy it ;)

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
I personally love leather-clad pipes, especially longchamps. They where made of briar that was not esthetically pleasing in the beginning, but after WW2 when good briar was available again, they switched to "normal" pieces. I would still much rather have a pipe that is covered in really nice leather Vs full of fills. The smoking qualities are identical to any good factory pipe and in my opinion, the feel in the hand is awesome!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I came close to winning an auction on eBay for the only leather wrapped pipe I have been attracted to. I can't say most of what I have seen available have been in good enough shape otherwise for me to pull the trigger: horribly neglected stems, seams on the leather coming undone, burnt rims, etc.
But that one I missed ... it was a beaut.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
09718AFA-8BCB-4075-B422-23E2646CFFBA-41545-000052331318860C_zpsa6e1bc09.jpg
GBD African Meer Bulldog, I have the same pipe not in leather, when I saw it I had to have it.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
They cover an inferior piece of briar--pits, defects, bad grain. Stay away
My old Ropp, leather covered and meerschaum lined was a grand smoker.

I think foggy just needs one of those nekkid ladies he photographs, to give him a hug. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.