PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

larry127

Lurker
Mar 12, 2016
Is a 51grams poker pipe consider too heavy say a Savinelli 311ks ?
Is there any other way to reduce the weight of a pipe? Trim it or whatsoever?

I have no idea how much a Savinelli 311ks weighs. But 51 grams is 1.79oz, and that is about at the top of my considerations for clenching weight. About 1.25oz to 1.9oz is all that I would consider for myself. But, really it is balance also. I have a few Ardors at 2.5oz that actually hang freely in a clench with little to no strength on my part. Balance+weight. But, blindly without being able to handle the pipe, I'd go on weight along. Just my $0.02

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nothing against heavy pipes, which may be fine for smoking in hand, but light weight pipes are made in all sizes, with even very large bowls, and often are not billed as "featherweight" models, but just weigh very little, mostly relating to the briar. For a time, Johs was making some medium size pipes that weighed very little. I second Cosmic on 1.7 oz being about tops for comfortable clenching. Bent pipes pull a little less because they exert less leverage, so feel a little lighter at a particular weight. I am surprised that so many artisans emphasize heavier pipes, perhaps because they can carve them larger and charge more for them. I like pipes in the 1 to 1.5 best for weight, a range in which you basically don't feel much in your teeth when you clench to light up. When my teeth begin to talk to me, I'm wary.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Is a 51grams poker pipe consider too heavy say a Savinelli 311ks ?
I don't understand this question?
Is there any other way to reduce the weight of a pipe? Trim it or whatsoever?
Not that I know of unless you are comfortable with removing material? I imagine the risk wouldn't be worth the reward.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the time to consider weight in a pipe is before you have bought it. Cutting it down, filing it down, sanding it down is not a plan. It disrupts the appearance, the balance, the smoking characteristics. If you want to take old, larger pipes and make different smaller pipes out of them, ok, but better just start with fresh materials I'd say.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Some, maybe even many, people buy because of aesthetics. More than a few purchase "marques" and some are attracted by value. While a pipe on the rack or in the case has to first capture my eye, there are other tests which it will have to pass before I would consider buying. That said, if your first thought is to radically modify the weight, why buy the pipe in the first place?
To answer your question, it's your pipe take a band saw to it if it pleases you. Or, whittle it down inside and out. Whatever works to make the offending pipe acceptable to you.

Mar 1, 2014
If you're specifically looking for a lightweight pipe I don't think it's possible to get better than these: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Briarworks-Classic/
Maybe the shapes will or won't appeal to you, but these are designed to be very lightweight and have some of the best stems on the market.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Mike at Briar Blues has a Ryan Alden poker. 36 grams. I don't know your budget, but his pipes are pretty much universally loved.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
A 100g full bent could hang easier than a 50g slight bent. The engineering is all that matters.

larry127

Lurker
Mar 12, 2016
Too bad my country only has very limited pipe selection and they are way overpriced too. At the moment I can only find pipes that attract me is on smokingpipes.com .the down side is i cant do a physical feel until i bought them :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Speaking of pipes that don't weigh a lot, I would suggest owning one small pipe, if you don't. They are surprisingly useful. With some cuts, some flakes/plug/ropes you can get a fairly long smoke, and they are great for sampling or for shorter smokes too. Many Virginias do nicely in smaller pipes. I was completely off them until persuaded by a Forums member (fishnbanjo). Try one, you'll like it. I like a full range of sizes, XL good too.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Smokingpipes has the best selection of pipes in the world. Their pictures and list of dimensions is also the best I have ever seen from a retailer. 50 grams is in my Goldilocks zone as I am a clencher. For straight pipes, the highest I will go is about 55 grams. I can go 65 if the pipe is bent enough and has the right balance.
If you tell us your price range, type of tobacco you smoke and shapes you enjoy, I am sure that we can recommend pipes that work for you. I buy most of my pipes based on how well they will smoke my favorite blends.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Yes 51 grams is medium weight, so would be comfortable to clench. The level of comfort also depends on many things such as how bent the pipe is; how long the pipe is; and how will you be smoking it (sitting down, standing up, or on the move).
I'd say 30g or below is the most comfortable for my teeth; 50g is okay; 70g or above can only be smoked in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.