PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the occasional cigar, sometimes pricey but usually carefree. And I don't care much about image, since it's difficult to smoke in public places anyway. But it strikes me that the pipe smoking image is better than the cigar image. People smoking cigars (which is sometimes me) tend to have the image of gangsters in the private dining area of a restaurant; college boys at the horse race track; big-talking brokers at the cigar lounge; and judgmental bosses looking at the sales records.

Pipe smokers are more often seen as thoughtful, if not brainy. Professors, scientists, meditative wanderers, artists, even a few senators from the past, grandfathers, uncles, dads, farmers, writers. We'll forget Stalin ... he's hard to categorize ... tyrant? What cohort of pipe smokers did I miss? Image-wise.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Never really put an image to tobacco use. I smoke pipes, cigars, and cigarettes. I also chew and use oral and nasal snuff. Just depends on how much time I have to invest in my tobacco usage or which one is the most convenient at the time.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
So you feel mentally incapacitated when you smoke a cigar?
:ROFLMAO: it is certainly a more mindless affair than smoking a pipe.

To be fair, with all the tough guy image, I actually had to lie down the last time I smoked a cigar because of the nic hit. Must have inhaled too much trying to breath smoke... :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
:ROFLMAO: it is certainly a more mindless affair than smoking a pipe.

To be fair, with all the tough guy image, I actually had to lie down the last time I smoked a cigar because of the nic hit. Must have inhaled too much trying to breath smoke... :ROFLMAO:
They’re too much for me. That’s for sure.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I'm from Chicago so when I smoke a cigar, feel like I have to put on a suit and a fedora and hire a midget in a similar suit to walk around with me and call me "Boss" and say "Yes Boss" and let me tap out the ashes in his hat. That all gets expensive, especially if all you can find is one of those uppity British midgets, so I just stick to pipes now.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
The shallow one who smokes because he/she thinks the pipe makes them look "thoughtful, if not brainy. Professors, scientists, meditative wanderers, artists, even a few senators from the past, grandfathers, uncles, dads, farmers, writers."
Happened to notice your tag line -- I just received a shillelagh (actually a blackthorne "waling stick") from Ireland today. Definitely not an image thing -- my dog was attached by a Rhodesian Ridgehound a few weeks ago and I had to fend it off with kicks. Will be good to have a stout stick with me when I walk the dog (and a pipe to complete the image)

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I always pictured it like cigar smokers are rich and dress nice. Pipe smokers are the homeless bunch.

Maybe because the last pipe smoker i saw in real life, was an actual homeless guy with a corncob....and I got really happy, and hope I could be like him someday. Well other than homeless....just like...as care free as him. Hahaha

Reactions: jpmcwjr and trubka2
Status
Not open for further replies.