PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
i almost hate to say it, but cigars lost their lustre as the prices went through the roof. One good, not extra pricey stick, costs as much as a tin of premium pipe tobacco that gives around twenty smokes. Maybe it's just a thrift neurosis, but I feel had. For special occasions, when I would have enjoyed a cigar, I just open a new tin of pipe tobacco. Maybe I should get with a monthly cigar, or cigars on specific holidays. An annual cigar.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Sometimes I just want a cigar, I usually smoke them out on the deck watching nature. Pipes are usually an indoor activity while on my computer or watching tv.

Reactions: jmsmitty6
i almost hate to say it, but cigars lost their lustre as the prices went through the roof. One good, not extra pricey stick, costs as much as a tin of premium pipe tobacco that gives around twenty smokes. Maybe it's just a thrift neurosis, but I feel had. For special occasions, when I would have enjoyed a cigar, I just open a new tin of pipe tobacco. Maybe I should get with a monthly cigar, or cigars on specific holidays. An annual cigar.
I have found a GTO line that is their cheapest at about $3 a stick. I picked one up at the end of summer, just have a cheapy for driving, instead of a pipe one day, and wow! I was amazed. It tasted just like the Cuban a friend from here had sent me. I immediately went back, and the guy told me that folks had been calling them Castro buzz bombs. So, I bought out his entire stock of them. Funny how the cheapest of their line was the best, IMO. I still love their Anesthesia and Pain Killer lines, but at the price... I can afford to set those back till this summer.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I came to pipes as a cigar smoker. Originally, I wanted to be able to have a quick smoke without pitching half a cigar. Also, to save some money. ?

I find pipe smoking so much more interesting and the tobacco flavors much more varied. I probably smoke 4 cigars a year.

Pondfisher

Might Stick Around
Dec 23, 2019
East Lansing, MI
Same for me. Price and time was why I dived into smoking pipes and sort of abandoned cigars.

Having said that, reading this thread has given me the urge to go grab a cigar on the way home....damn you forum! :)

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I definitely prefer pipes to cigars, but cigars will always have their place for me. If I'm going to be outside when it's hot and humid, I usually go for a cigar. For me, a pipe in those circumstances is a coin flip on whether I'll enjoy, but cigars are always good.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Pipe v. Cigar experience...I smoke a pipe everyday, several times a day. It’s become part of who I am. If I’m fiddling in the garage, mowing the lawn, or watching ?...a pipe is usually in my mouth. It’s like wearing an old worn in ⚾️ cap that fits better than anything you own. And, my pipe tobacco pairs wonderfully with my favorite beverage ☕️.
I smoke a cigar every once in a while. When the weather gets a bit warmer I tend to smoke the occasional Padron or Drew Estate T52 while relaxing with fresh brewed iced tea & I’ll typically have a couple of cheaper sticks when I go golfing. I love being able to reserve my patio for 1.5 hours and chill in the Spring/Summer evenings. However, price and taste prohibit me from smoking more regularly.
I enjoy each experience for what it is and find myself relaxing & reflecting with each. But, if I’m forced to choose...my pipe wins hands down. Just happy I’m able to enjoy both experiences. ?☕

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I feel the same way. It just doesn't feel worth the price when something I enjoy more cost less.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Cigars are a longer time commitment where everything is already figured out for me (with respect to their pre-prepared nature), and is much more sensitive to ambient humidity during the smoking process. If I have to let a cigar go out during smoking to take care of life, there's a chance it won't pick up where it left off when I relight it.

Pipes are much easier to fit into my day time-wise and I enjoy the tactile nature of preparing the tobacco, packing the pipe (slightly different methods depending on blend, cut, and moisture level) as well as the feel of holding a pipe (every have a conversation while smoking a pipe and emphasize an idea by pointing the stem at someone or something? I have). Something about pipes feels more old-timey as well with presentation out the window and the enjoyment of the smoker as sole focus.

I won't even go into the price disparity between pipes vs. cigars.

In summation, a pipe is something I check in with several times throughout the day while I'm working in the garden, planning plantings, checking those already completed, perhaps harvesting, perhaps preparing beds, or simply inspecting plants for pests and the tells of their development. A cigar is for setting around the fire afterwards, completing my gardening journal, and unwinding while I allow my body to begin resting after a day of labor.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I smoke a lot of both actually, if I'm in the basement working or on the computer, I'm generally smoking a pipe.
If I'm outside working, or mowing the yard I'm usually smoking a little cheroot cigar, or I have a dip of Copenhagen.
if I'm actually relaxing outside on my deck with a beer or a couple fingers of bourbon, I'm smoking a full size cigar (Robusto, toro, perfecto or belicoso).
I do love a nice buttery smooth, yet strong cigar usually at least once a week and more often, when it's warmer.

Reactions: cohibajoe

spugni

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2017
Long Island, NY
I was a big cigar guy for many years. Cigars hooked me into the world of tobacco. But, once I figured out how to properly smoke a pipe, I rarely crave a cigar.

Reactions: OzPiper

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I enjoy both, especially cigar leaf in my pipe. But, I think of my pipe as playing an instrument for enjoyment, and cigars as turning on the radio for enjoyment.
Interesting analogy. I read somewhere, maybe here, that if a cigar is a great steak, in a top steakhouse, then a pipe is a 7 course meal.

I tried a few cigars over the summer but frankly didn't do much for me, and it was Cubans like Cohiba and Montecristo. I also smoked more than 100 Toscanos over a couple of months though and loved everyone of them, still smoke them once a week for sure. Interestingly in the cigar hardcore crowds I looked into in social media Toscanos are really looked down on, they're borderline not considered cigars.

Interesting analogy. I read somewhere, maybe here, that if a cigar is a great steak, in a top steakhouse, then a pipe is a 7 course meal.

I tried a few cigars over the summer but frankly didn't do much for me, and it was Cubans like Cohiba and Montecristo. I also smoked more than 100 Toscanos over a couple of months though and loved everyone of them, still smoke them once a week for sure. Interestingly in the cigar hardcore crowds I looked into in social media Toscanos are really looked down on, they're borderline not considered cigars.
The “cigar world” is run by money with an expensive tastes.
I prefer to think of myself as a dabbler in cigars. I love Toscanos as well as the other leafed cigars like the MUWATs and such.
Just enjoy what you enjoy.

Reactions: OzPiper

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Our pipe club gives a cigar to any member that has a birthday that month. My son got a cigar last night. He offered it to me. I declined. He then gave it to one of the other members. That explains our views on cigar vs pipe.

Reactions: anotherbob