PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
9mm activated charcoal filter with proper drying of tobacco makes a normal stemmed pipe super dry and cool. If thats what you are chasing Id try one. If you dont like it stick an adapter in.

Do you have a designated lighter for the 12 foot pipe?

Last edited:
Reactions: gord

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
9mm activated charcoal filter with proper drying of tobacco makes a normal stemmed pipe super dry and cool. If thats what you are chasing Id try one. If you dont like it stick an adapter in.

Do you have a designated lighter for the 12 foot pipe?
Not sure I'd even try a 12 foot pipe! I do have one very long stem that is difficult to light . . . . I don't smoke it often. It's too long for CW pipe cleaners. I'd like to think of myself as more tilted towards the eccentric side than daft! :rolleyes:

With respect to filters, I really don't like any of them . . find charcoal has an unpleasant taste and if I have a messy tobacco, paper works best. Or just dry it out more. Otherwise, none.

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I hate to do it, but I cant help myself.. the truth matters.

Briar pipes don't absorb moisture. They just plain don't... Stem or chamber. Even a whole pipe submerged in water apparently doesnt absorb moisture.

This is why we are able to wash our pipes without concern, in a dishwasher, a sink, or the washing machine. It's all good baby, because they don't absorb moisture.

I'd love to see a son of a bitch smoking a 15ft churchwarden with a wooden stem.
Agree. . . . fyi most longstems have ash or cherrywood stems. I'd love to see that scene of a guy smoking a 15 foot stem too. Sounds a bit dubious . . . like maybe an urban legend. Read it from a story on longstems that was also perhaps a bit dubious! :LOL:

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I have a couple churchwardens and I smoke them occasionally. I prefer a large bowled pipe which I believe makes for a cooler and more flavorful smoke. If packed properly it allows more space for air in the bowl. I am probably totally off base, but that is what satisfies me.
Don't think you're off base at all. I often prefer a large bowled straight pipe in the evening, when I'm more contemplative and relaxed. When I'm into more intense analizing of tobaccos, I go to the long stems for the reasons I listed above. I think we'd both agree that it's nice to have a choice.

I'm definitely much more active in the AM, so I go for a much shorter smoke. Used to know more about biorhythms, but mine sure does a decrescendo throughout the day. :col:

Reactions: WVOldFart

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I have one churchwarden, and enjoy it on occasion.
I too, only have one churchwarden. I don't mean this in a judgmental manner, but on those rare occasions that I smoke it, I don't really enjoy it. Just doesn't feel natural. A bit pretentious, I suppose.

Of course, one could argue that in what alternate universe does burning a bit of dried vegetation in a bowl of wood, while drawing the smoke into one's mouth fit the definition of being a "natural" act?

Oh hell, what do I know? ;)

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: gord and OzPiper

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I too, only have one churchwarden. I don't mean this in a judgmental manner, but on those rare occasions that I smoke it, I don't really enjoy it. Just doesn't feel natural. A bit pretentious, I suppose.

Of course, one could argue that in what alternate universe does burning a bit of dried vegetation in a bowl of wood, while drawing the smoke into one's mouth fit the definition of being a "natural" act?

Oh hell, what do I know? ;)
Same as all of us! A little here, a little there. :) But we're works in progress, eh? puffy

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I need to see a larger picture, if at all possible.
I'll be posting my collection some time next week. Have a wicked agenda right now. My truck was stolen recently, and there's lots of damage. That'll further eat into my pipe and tobacco purchases until next fall.

However, as my mother used to say, "Kid, you'll find sympathy in the dictionary between shit and syphillis." Yah, she really said that very frequently. If she was to say anything to me now, she'd say "Gordie boy, you need more tobacco and another pipe like you need another hole in your head." And she'd be right. :LOL: