PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Why would anyone watch a video of a very rich guy playing with his toys? I'd rather tinker with my seven day set of Lamborghinis.

front-left-side-47.jpg

:)

Touché!

With good spirits, however.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
As a counter - those YouTube pieces are mostly not for regular pipe smokers. We figured it out...and never go back to “watch” how someone else goes about the dance of pipe smoking.
But then we DO come here to also ask questions, provide opinions, offer advice, etc.?
A newbie would find a variety of YouTube personalities helpful in the journey I would think.
Some folks read to learn new things, some like to get a visual to learn new things, some just need to have a live mentor, whatever the hobby/pastime/process...
My $0.02

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
As a counter - those YouTube pieces are mostly not for regular pipe smokers. We figured it out...and never go back to “watch” how someone else goes about the dance of pipe smoking.
But then we DO come here to also ask questions, provide opinions, offer advice, etc.?
A newbie would find a variety of YouTube personalities helpful in the journey I would think.
Some folks read to learn new things, some like to get a visual to learn new things, some just need to have a live mentor, whatever the hobby/pastime/process...
My $0.02

I agree. Furthermore, many are not just videos of "some guy smoking a pipe." They review blends, discuss current events, and some discuss historical topics. Much like...a pipe smoking forum.

Bremen Pipe Smoker, for example, always finds some strange ruins in the woods of Germany and discusses their significance, mixed in with a review of a tin or two.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"They review blends, discuss current events, and some discuss historical topics. Much like...a pipe smoking forum."

I perfectly understand that, but watching Joe Bloggs smoking a pipe on YouTube for hours on end is all one way, surely it's far better and more educational to discuss any issues with friends on a forum where the newbie is allowed some input and gets the collective thoughts of many?

Regards & goodnight,

Jay.?

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
"They review blends, discuss current events, and some discuss historical topics. Much like...a pipe smoking forum."

I perfectly understand that, but watching Joe Bloggs smoking a pipe on YouTube for hours on end is all one way, surely it's far better and more educational to discuss any issues with friends on a forum where the newbie is allowed some input and gets the collective thoughts of many?

Regards & goodnight,

Jay.?

Yes, videos are one-way. As are written articles on any topic.

I can read about how to pack a pipe, I can watch a video on to pack a pipe, or I can discuss how to pack a pipe on a forum. It's three different approaches. Some people may just want to watch a video on a discreet topic that they find interesting or need to learn about, without having to get input or side discussions from dozens of others.

For example, you and I both share an interest in shortwave radio listening. I learned the basics about the various SW bands and their uses in less than an hour by watching a few videos by experienced DXers and reading a few articles online. I believe that was a "far better and more educational" way to do so vs. joining a SW forum and sifting through posts.

I agree that watching a guy smoking a pipe and rambling for hours on end is a bad use of time. But I do not agree that forums are always a better way to learn about something than videos.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I can read about how to pack a pipe, I can watch a video on to pack a pipe, or I can discuss how to pack a pipe on a forum.

And some of us figured it out on our own long before the internet came about.

But I do not agree that forums are always a better way to learn about something than videos.

You'll almost always get feedback on a forum where video questions can lie dormant for years with no reply.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I can watch a video on to pack a pipe..... "

Yes Bowie, but for hours on end as the OP states?

"For example, you and I both share an interest in shortwave radio listening. I learned the basics about the various SW bands and their uses in less than an hour...... "

Believe me Bowie, if I were to quiz you on SW amateur bands V broadcast frequencies, propogation, ionospheric disturbances your knowledge gained in your stated under 60 minutes would soon crumble. It takes years to get it all sorted in your head so that it becomes second nature and even then there are the sunspot variables plus much more.

Watching something being done is most useful yes, but it is best when one is able to discuss matters with someone in the know, the more the better.

Now in bed so.....night night all ?

Regards,

Jay.?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
So....wait.....what's up with Muttnchop? I saw his comment that his sister had Covid, but then someone else commented later that HE had died from Covid? Does anyone actually know?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I was incorrect about Muttonchop.

My brain was remembering Matches860, who was the fellow that passed.

I apologize. (That's why my subconscious forced me to add "I think" to the end of my OP ? )

1597113754651.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.