PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Just a general maintenance question. I’ve got this honking big Moretti with thick walls and a real broad. What can I use around the house to clean the top’s surface?
Pictures always help but in general moist paper towel or, sometimes even better, saliva moistened q-tip works well on smooth rims. Rusticated or sandblast would require a toothbrush or similar.

Early on in my pipe smoking, I realized that if I rubbed my pipe rim on the carpet back and forth vigorously, the rim looked fantastic. Then my wife caught me doing that and blew a gasket.

Now I have a 2x4 section that I’ve stretched a piece of thick suede I picked up at the local leather shop and tacked down to do that with to prevent brown stains on the carpet.

But, when Mrs Cosmic tells the story she makes it out like I was being like the dog dragging his ass across the carpet. Women are so sensitive about their damned carpet. puffy

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’ve got this honking big Moretti with thick walls and a real broad.

You’ve got a pipe and a real woman. Got it.

What can I use around the house to safely clean the top’s surface?

Ask your broad to do it? On the other hand, that’s probably not safe. Forget I mentioned it.

Saliva or water and a soft cloth always works for me!

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Place a paper towel soaked with black coffee on a saucer onto which the inverted pipe rim is placed overnight or for 24 hours. This softens the "lava" & soot that may be scrubbed off with more black coffee-soaked paper towel(s). Repeat as needed.
This works with briar as well with meerschaum, & will not stain either material.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would think if you have to ask that question it would be best to take your pipes to others to clean.
For someone doing it for the first time, it's not an unusual question as to avoid any unforeseen damage to the pipe and nothing that can't be done with readily available supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.