PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I would try c&d Izmir Turkish. Ramback is similar, but it may have changed since the sale of d&r. Try it straight , and if that’s too oriental for you, try blending with a base tobacco. I like it blended with c&d white burley with a pinch of their dark burley . I can’t see getting a camel like experience from any blend containing Latakia .

dottlejockey

For non-latakia oriental forward blends, i would second the vote for GLP Geometrie and Brunello Flake. Also, i'd like to raise your awareness of a few more to-try's, namely:

Savinelli Janus
C & D Bijou
MM Luminaire
4th Gen Twilight Mixture

Also HU Flanagan or C & D Steamworks, if you can get them.

Let us know how it goes!

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I second Embers with the Sutfliff TS-24 and would add TS-19 ( a bit sweeter but still all Oriental) mix a bit of 5 brothers in there for some more Umph.

I smoke camel nonfilters most mornings but for some reason my go to Pipe Tobabcco is Peterson Flake (formerly Dunhill) straight medium Virginia it's simple and just works for me.

YMMV

enjoy the journey...

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
I never knew Camels had Turkish orientals in them. Back then I didn’t even know there were more tobacco varietals than Virginia, Burley, or cigar leaf. One of my favourite cigarettes was Camel Turkish Silvers when I still smoked them. It was a real treat whenever I was in the US and could get those.

Cornell & Diehl Riverboat Gambler and Gates of Light. Unfortunately, they are both burley forward blends and not available in bulk. They have great oriental flavour.

I’ve heard TimbrDrifter on YouTube say that C&D Orion’s Arrow is a good straight forward tobacco flavoured blend with orientals and Virginias. Maybe that’s what you’re looking for. I haven’t tried it yet but it’s available in bulk so probably worth trying.

Reactions: Piping Abe

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
You might try finding a shag cut tobacco, like GLP Penny Farthing. If it doesn’t work for you in a pipe, you can roll it in a paper.
Anything with Dark Fired KY will scratch the cigarette itch as well(at least for me, it does). GLP Six Pence & Mac Barren Dark Twist Roll Cake are 2 of my favorites.
Blends like GLP Westminster & Maltese Falcon are Turkish/Oriental forward English blends that have less Latikia than most. Great for all day puffing.

Reactions: RookieGuy80

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Camel non-filters are my favorite cigarettes, but I’ve been transitioning to a pipe recently and have been wondering what direction I should head in as far as tobacco goes. I’ve been smoking burley blends but I don’t care for them too much. What oriental/Turkish-forward blends do you recommend?
Exactly what are you looking for in pipe tobacco? I ask because I had initially tried to use pipe to transition away from cigarettes (also camels). It didn't work. I was trying to use a pipe to get the same effect as a cigarette. Pipe tobaccos don't work that way unless you roll them up and inhale.

So knowing you're not going to get the same "nic fix", what are you looking for? A bold flavor? Thick smoke in your mouth like a cigarette? Or just a friendly oriental taste?

Reactions: sardonicus87

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Someone on another thread said that Bugler was similar to camel cigarrettes.
That's horrible. Bugler taste like someone spilled nicotine on a thing sheet of cardboard and then cut it into ribbons. I think you could quit smoking buy only allowing yourself to smoke that stuff. I've bought a few pouches when in between money and I smoked one in the morning and one before bed.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
That's horrible. Bugler taste like someone spilled nicotine on a thing sheet of cardboard and then cut it into ribbons. I think you could quit smoking buy only allowing yourself to smoke that stuff. I've bought a few pouches when in between money and I smoked one in the morning and one before bed.
Someone else said it was the same tobacco blend as camels. I tried one packet and got a bit of tongue bite. It wasn't that bad but then I didn't smoke 4 ounces in one day. Sorry you had a bad experience. Its not gourmet pipe tobacco but cheap stuff so you can't compare the two. I too bought in between Sp orders.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Someone else said it was the same tobacco blend as camels. I tried one packet and got a bit of tongue bite. It wasn't that bad but then I didn't smoke 4 ounces in one day. Sorry you had a bad experience. Its not gourmet pipe tobacco but cheap stuff so you can't compare the two. I too bought in between Sp orders.
It is about the same as camel as an elephant and goat are the same.

• Haha
Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

anantaandroscoggin

Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
As I've never been a cigarette smoker beyond a brief flirtation with a few boxes of Nat Sherman's Turkish Ovals in the mid '70s, my first thought reading the title for this thread was: "Is this guy a candidate for a pouch of Five Brothers?" Probably totally un-similar I suppose . . .

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
As I've never been a cigarette smoker beyond a brief flirtation with a few boxes of Nat Sherman's Turkish Ovals in the mid '70s, my first thought reading the title for this thread was: "Is this guy a candidate for a pouch of Five Brothers?" Probably totally un-similar I suppose . . .
I might be way wrong but I think Camels have changed significantly over the years. Something happened to American and European cigarettes having to do with packaging in the States and actual nicotine levels in Western Europe. Camels used to be much more Turkisk-forward with a blend and now seem to be mostly Burley so I could see 5 Bros mixed with Smyrna having a good effect. But, as I have complained way too many times on this thread the beautiful leaf that once inhabited French, Dutch, and German smokes has vanished. It's a true travesty that such "liberal" Governments have nanny-stated the pleasure of such good flavor and Nic Kick out of existence. I know that the packaging and wording such as "Full Flavor", "Light", and "Ultra-Light" have changed in the US and now there is a seemingly universal color system that is not even universal and one must test out brand by brand, no idea what they have done as far as nicotine levels, but since the early 00's it's not been the same.

TL:DR

Camels as all Cigs were much better in the 70's but then again so was everything else LOL