PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
would there be any advantages from the spiral in the bowl? I haven't had much luck just scooping...still got the training wheels on..haha
Couldn't imagine any advantages, but if you're having good results, run with it!?

Reactions: Dr.G

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
would there be any advantages from the spiral in the bowl? I haven't had much luck just scooping...still got the training wheels on..haha
I tried this method for a while and I think it works well. The major advantage is probably that you are less likely to over pack/pack too tight. Ultimately though it is much easier to just scoop or pinch

Dr.G

Lurker
Aug 16, 2021
Sydney Australia
I tried this method for a while and I think it works well. The major advantage is probably that you are less likely to over pack/pack too tight. Ultimately though it is much easier to just scoop or pinch
Scooping seems to be the most common way, I was looking for ways to pack outside that are quicker than the three step..I'll leave this one to the more adept though haha... I gave it a go but I recon it would be a nightmare in a breeze!

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
I have been going with the Fred Hanna approach for a while… grab a pinch, lightly put it in- but leave a small gap in the bottom. Then a smaller pinch, followed by an even smaller pinch. All lightly tapped. I know it is controversial but it works like a charm for me. I am smoking a pipeful right now and it is burning perfectly. So thank u Fred!
John K

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome, Josefina! Why not introduce yourself in the newcomers intro thread?

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
After rubbing out the coins, I tend to use the gravity fill method, especially with my larger Group 6 pipes. Drop a few ribbons of tobacco into the bottom of the bowl, then drop larger pinches on top until full. Finish with a very light finger tamp. First light, charring light. Then a re-light. I can usually smoke until the end of the bowl, although I've never had the fine white ash at the end of the bowl. There's usually to much moisture for that.

Used to use the three step method, but found it too tight. A buddy of mine described it as i) first tamp. Shaking hands with a baby. ii) Second tamp. Shaking hands with a lady. iii) Third tamp. Shaking hands with a man. Too much tamping for me.

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
Hi Gents - I messed around for a few years, then went with light packing, but then near the rim, push in more tobacco with a little more aggressive tamping down, then level it off.

Works great, then recently evolved into how to smoke it. I was always afraid that if I left the pipe for more than a few seconds it would go out. This caused a hot, gurgly smoke! Well, I learned that once it is going nicely, give a good tamp, let it sit for a minute or more, then draw and get a nice fresh mouthful of cool smoke. I was surprised when I first stumbled onto this, and it has been a game changer.

felix Cappuccio

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2021
When I pack a pipe depending on the tobacco the first pinch is loose then more firm I repeat from step one until I filled the bowl it never did me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.