PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeMarc

Might Stick Around
Dec 14, 2017
South East
Curious question. How do most of you receive your pipe & tobacco news? Info on new and upcoming blends, new pipe releases, changes in said blend components, personnel changes within companies, company acquisitions etc. Do you even have an interest in that information?

Other than instagram or waiting for an email from SmokingPipes I feel somewhat in the dark as to what’s going on in the industry. Am I the only one?

Reactions: grimpeur and FLDRD

PipeMarc

Might Stick Around
Dec 14, 2017
South East
Other than tobacco legislation, I don’t believe I see any other “News” categories. No section for company press releases. So unless Joe blow hears something second hand and throws it in a thread, there isn’t much of verified news on this site. Sure you have the radio show and insider info Brian shares and or a guest. But this is a forum, not news site.

Reactions: fireground_piper

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Other than tobacco legislation, I don’t believe I see any other “News” categories. No section for company press releases. So unless Joe blow hears something second hand and throws it in a thread, there isn’t much of verified news on this site. Sure you have the radio show and insider info Brian shares and or a guest. But this is a forum, not news site.
No, it’s not a news site. But here you will find links to stories in the news that relate to pipe smoking. You will get information from people who work for the tobacco blenders. And a lot more.

For example, just recently a member posted a link to a news story about illegal briar harvesting in Spain. The briar was destined for Italy—a place that makes many of the pipes we buy. An important story, and one that so far as I can tell never made the English language press. I’d have never found it without these forums

Another example: a link to a discussion on another pipes forum where an employee of GH admitted that Kendal dark, Kendal Kentucky, and dark Birds Eye, are now all the same tobacco sold under different names. For smokers of those tobaccos, that’s news—again I found it only because of these forums.

There are many other examples.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I know a lot of companies post things to their Instagram pages. Blends, sales, new pipes, etc. I feel like that's where a lot of direct announcements are currently made, the propagated to the various communities by folks.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
“News”, as it once was, ceased to be around 2008. Now it’s all just rumors, political rabble rousing, news releases and ads for liver spot removers. Get with the program and stop asking about the man behind the curtain!

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
No, it’s not a news site. But here you will find links to stories in the news that relate to pipe smoking. You will get information from people who work for the tobacco blenders. And a lot more.

For example, just recently a member posted a link to a news story about illegal briar harvesting in Spain. The briar was destined for Italy—a place that makes many of the pipes we buy. An important story, and one that so far as I can tell never made the English language press. I’d have never found it without these forums

Another example: a link to a discussion on another pipes forum where an employee of GH admitted that Kendal dark, Kendal Kentucky, and dark Birds Eye, are now all the same tobacco sold under different names. For smokers of those tobaccos, that’s news—again I found it only because of these forums.

There are many other examples.
She made the same admission / statement here to a post I had made here.
Too lazy to find the thread but it was only a week or two ago at most......

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Here you go…
I didn’t know that Matt Drudge was a pipe smoker.

Still not “news”, though. Its link aggregation. Very different from news. News is the first-hand reporting of events by a source that has proven itself trustworthy and not unduly influenced by outside pressures. As a former photojournalist, I get damned picky about this. Anyone who believes in the fundamental importance of veracity to a free society should be just as concerned.

PipeMarc

Might Stick Around
Dec 14, 2017
South East
I didn’t know that Matt Drudge was a pipe smoker.

Still not “news”, though. Its link aggregation. Very different from news. News is the first-hand reporting of events by a source that has proven itself trustworthy and not unduly influenced by outside pressures. As a former photojournalist, I get damned picky about this. Anyone who believes in the fundamental importance of veracity to a free society should be just as concerned.
I concur with this view. Which is why I believe a trustworthy not unduly influenced Pipe smoking media site would be appreciated.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I concur with this view. Which is why I believe a trustworthy not unduly influenced Pipe smoking media site would be appreciated.
Unfortunately, like all media outlets, cash is king. Without sufficient advertising dollars coming in to pay for quality newsgathering and presentation, it ain't gonna happen. When I worked for a major regional newspaper, we used to complain about how our photos ended up buried on the jump, deep inside the paper, surrounded by department store, car dealership and real estate ads. How naive we were! Those ads fueled our paychecks.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
“News”, as it once was, ceased to be around 2008. Now it’s all just rumors, political rabble rousing, news releases and ads for liver spot removers. Get with the program and stop asking about the man behind the curtain!

just like all music is commercials now

Reactions: woodsroad