PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

moscca

Lurker
May 26, 2013
Living in a very humid climate, I have problems to keep my tobacco dry.

I read, and do so, about drying with a lamp, microwave etc ... but I just saw those 60% Rh Humidity Beads.

I'm playing with the idea of buying a humidor only for my pipe tobacco with those beads.

What do you guys think ?
Jan.
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
First part is where it is stored. Better to keep it in a cool spot, like the basement. Then there is the humidity and I'd say you're on the right track with silica beads. A jar of it in an enclosed space where you store your stuff would probably be a good idea. I keep all of my stuff in a standalone cabinet. Luckily living in Colorado humidity isn't an issue (except with cigars), but if it was I'd try a silica gel jar in my cabinet.

I live in a summertime, 90-100% humid climate with 90-100F temperatures. I just keep my tobaccos in jars. No need for anything special. When I need the tobacco a little drier, I place it in front of the air conditioner, which is pulling the moisture out of the air inside. Here, my window units sound like a water hose, spilling water out like a gutter.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Jan, I would not do that, personally. Why?
If you're in a humid environment, silica beads will only be able to absorb so much moisture before they essentially reach capacity. After that, their efficiency at absorbing moisture will be greatly reduced (or completely eliminated). You can solve this by periodically drying the beads in a low temp oven, but if you're in a humid clime, I'm guessing it's already warm there -- running your oven for the sake of some beads is not going to be a high priority.
The best way to store/preserve pipe tobacco is with mason jars or kilner jars. These jars do a good job of keeping tobacco from drying out or preventing tobacco from absorbing ambient humidity. They are cost effective and low maintenance. Beads are great for cigars and cigar humidors, but their storage requirements are very different from pipe tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.