PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I disagree unless its a drugstore blend. Much of it is a spirit(carrier), spices (like tonquin for an English blend) or, vanilla, cocoa, ginger, rose water, cinnamon-things to bring out the natural tobaccos. No, real pipe tobacco is not a chemical bomb. Gawith and C&D explain this. Yes PG is an additive they use. Even hand-rolled cigars have natural processing. This all started with a way to keep tobacco moist and stable on ships for long voyages, casing them in spirits and spices.

Reactions: gord

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Here are three pages of a 1989 11 page document from British American Tobacco, listing the flavors used in processing tobacco. Note that differentiation is not made between finished products on this list, so this could apply to cigarettes as well as pipe tobacco. This is just the flavorings. Other ingredients may be added.

BAT Flavor Codes_Page_01.jpg

BAT Flavor Codes_Page_02.jpg
BAT Flavor Codes_Page_03.jpg

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Well, okay maybe not the vast majority of cheap ones that constitute a larger number. But C&D, MacBaren, Peterson, Germains, and Gawith do not taste artificial to me. I believe they are doing it the old way.
I think c&d and Gawith are known for using natural additives when possible. Mac Baren and Peterson? I’m not sure about Peterson but Mac Baren almost certainly uses artificial additives. I remember Mac Barens ingredient list was posted on some German site a while ago and there were lots of additives in the blends.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
With things like artifical grape and artificial maple, things that make tobacco taste good, it's not surprising. Also artificial Marlboro flavoring haha. Sounds like cheap drug store brands and cigarettes. Even Jeremy Reeves said for their "Button Nose" blend they let marshmallows sit in high proof vodka combined with cocoa to get the flavoring. Thats an aromatic blend. You never know what cigarettes and cheap drugstore brands will do though. There are a lot of plum/raisens and chocolate flavorings in cigarettes.

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Cigar tobacco is generally the least messed with.
Cigarette tobacco is generally lower quality tobacco that has a bunch of chemicals added after drying and curing. Things like "nicotine delivery systems" as they are called are chemicals, such as formaldehyde to hurry the process of getting nicotine into your system. They also use chemicals to help eliminate the nicotine quickly from your system, so you want another cigarette sooner. Also other addictive chemicals to, well, get you addicted to cigarettes. This is why pipe smokers can go longer between smokes than cig smokers.
99.9% of pipe tobacco is cased.
This does not add flavoring, it just makes the tobacco homogenous and takes the rough edges off. Then many times its topped with a flavoring, from very mild to Captain Black. :)
Most cigar tobacco is just dried and cured, then rolled.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Cigar tobacco is generally the least messed with.
Cigarette tobacco is generally lower quality tobacco that has a bunch of chemicals added after drying and curing. Things like "nicotine delivery systems" as they are called are chemicals, such as formaldehyde to hurry the process of getting nicotine into your system. They also use chemicals to help eliminate the nicotine quickly from your system, so you want another cigarette sooner. Also other addictive chemicals to, well, get you addicted to cigarettes. This is why pipe smokers can go longer between smokes than cig smokers.
99.9% of pipe tobacco is cased.
This does not add flavoring, it just makes the tobacco homogenous and takes the rough edges off. Then many times its topped with a flavoring, from very mild to Captain Black. :)
Most cigar tobacco is just dried and cured, then rolled.
There are an awful lot of cigars sold that are flavored, have a reconstituted wraper and binder and are made with shredded tobacco that contains…what? I don’t know the sales figures, but these kinds of cigars make up a significant proportion of the market.

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
There are an awful lot of cigars sold that are flavored, have a reconstituted wraper and binder and are made with shredded tobacco that contains…what? I don’t know the sales figures, but these kinds of cigars make up a significant proportion of the market.
I should have said "premium" cigars.....Macanudo, Partagas, Montecristo, Rocky Patel, Padron........
Most of the machine made cigars have paper wrappers made to look like tobacco. And yes, some companies like Acid, Drew Estate.....have flavored cigars. But for the most part, they are just unadulterated tobacco leaves.
Cigar tobacco is grown way differently than cigarette and pipe tobacco.
The leaves must be grown thick and strong, with thin veins. Many cigar leaf tobaccos have been "custom" bred for these characteristics.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I remember when several people here were involved in the effort to bring back WarHorse Bar and they sent some of the old original that they found to a lab. A lot of strange things but no horse shit.......supposedly.
Contrary to popular belief, Warhorse Green actually contained Horseshit at one time, it was a natural and necessary unadulterated additive to provide the full and smooth flavor that pipe smokers demanded. YMMV.

1715389950490.png

• Love
Reactions: woodsroad

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
How do tobacco leaves for pipe tobacco differ from tobacco used in cigarettes?
They don't. Buyers of tobacco lots process them for their needs. Most is grown for cigarettes and chewing tobacco but the pipe industry benefits from the yield. Each company then modifies the tobacco for the intended purpose.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Every time I see War Horse mentioned, this pops in my head, and I have one tin each of Bar and Green, and I image this also is how I'll look when I get around to trying it:
419876849_782600360559103_3418822287395089068_n.jpg

gord

Might Stick Around
Just my personal view (I don't need hate mail) but smoking over the counter cigarettes is the highest example of foolishness,
There are several independent research papers available on line that concluded that cigarette smokers had far fewer cases of covid than non-smokers. (But I didn't write this comment because I don't need hate mail either lol)

Reactions: kcghost

slippery pete

Lurker
May 16, 2024
comer ga
mI can tell you that pipe tobacco for the oldest US tobacco house comes in thousand-pound bales of dry leaf without any of that stuff added. It is then rehydrated in their primary and cased or topped post-blending, depending upon the blend they are making. It does not have any of the cigarette tobacco process yet when they receive it.
obviously you work in the industry my question will tell you how new I am but I like the mac baren's so far are they the oldest or using the same methods

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
obviously you work in the industry my question will tell you how new I am but I like the mac baren's so far are they the oldest or using the same methods
MacBaren owns Sutliff. They acquired Sutliff because of their similar practices and a more storied history between them over the years. So yes, MacBaren and Sutliff have some very similar practices and are both very old tobacco companies.