PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
In the last month or so I've run into my pipe getting hot after the first 5 minutes or so of smoking it. It starts out great, full of flavor then suddenly it's a harsh tongue biting furnace. I started using the breath method a few months ago and that has been working out great. I do it for 90% of the time, which also slowed my cadence. I started drying out my tobacco more. These things worked great and gave me a much better experience smoking a pipe. Then out of the blue about a month ago I started having issues with the bowl heating up. Has this happened to any of you and if it did what did you do to fix it?

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
In the last month or so I've run into my pipe getting hot after the first 5 minutes or so of smoking it. It starts out great, full of flavor then suddenly it's a harsh tongue biting furnace. I started using the breath method a few months ago and that has been working out great. I do it for 90% of the time, which also slowed my cadence. I started drying out my tobacco more. These things worked great and gave me a much better experience smoking a pipe. Then out of the blue about a month ago I started having issues with the bowl heating up. Has this happened to any of you and if it did what did you do to fix it?
It can and does happen to me as well. Packing too tight can cause this as combustion needs oxygen and a tight pack makes you draw harder. Try packing with an air pocket at the bottom of the bowl. That and the breath method combined will help. Also some tobacco has a tendency to pack in a more solid mass. Keep notes as you go and stick to blends that naturally burn cool. My current favorites are Amphora Full and Borkum Riff Bronze. They smoulder nicely and need less effort to keep alight.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pretend you are in a slow-smoking contest, keeping the ember only just lit. You want some flavor but not a conflagration. Move up a couple notches and try to hold it there. With some practice, this might work.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
You might check the first half inch of air channel and the mortise area for buildup. Pipe cleaners alone don’t remove this. It can cause a Venturi effect on your puffing and subsequent moisture build up. Just a thought. I bought a set of long drill bits that, if used gently , can remove this gunk.
Sounds like you’ve got good protocols in place for sipping and slowing down!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find that if the ambient humidity is high enough this will happen to me as well.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Back in the days when Northern and Mid-Western Theatres and other large buildings which serviced a lot of people were heated by a coal furnace, there used to be a dedicated 'Furnaceman' - who usually lived in the basement of the building, slept on a cot near the furnace, etc - and, in addition to his other janitorial/maintenance jobs, his was specifically to deal with controlling the burn of the furnace; be it: air flow, fuel, etc. etc.

We are all sort of in the same boat with our pipes, if you think about it.

- Sherm 'Just call me Ol' Henry', the Furnaceman' Natman

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Maybe you're just enjoying your pipe and are getting through it in half the time. I've been known to do this.

Maybe there's wind. I was doing a renovation job near the beach, and I never kept a bowl for more than 20 minutes. The wind smoked more of the pipe than I did.

Slowing down will help, but sometimes if it's the environment, you can't help it. I started bringing hot-loving blends to the beach property. I like heat in just about anything from The Country Squire (Black Arrow especially), Gaslight, and Plum Pudding.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Maybe not a simple answer but it is probably a combination of the above : type of tobacco, packing, cadence, wind, draw, etc. As for what to do --- test everything. But what I do is clean the pipe with a 24 hr salt/alcohol, and clean shank and stem and start over and observe. Hope you figure it out. Good luck !

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
For the purposes of this thread, I am going to assume that you, as you say, smoking slowly, drying your tobacco, etc. I believe you when you say it, and more importantly, it allows me to dispense with the obvious.

Let me ask a few questions, and let's see if we can pin this down.

1. What is the climate like where you are smoking? If you're smoking outdoors and it is humid and hot outside, or if there is a fairly decent breeze going on, those things can make your pipe burn hotter than normal.

2. Is your bowl hot all over, or do you find the heat is concentrated in one section in particular?

3. What tobacco(s) are you smoking? Some will smoke hotter than others and require a bit more care when smoking.

4. When you draw from your pipe, does it feel smooth? Or do you feel you have to draw harder than normal? If the latter, you may have an obstruction near your draft hole. There are many ways to deal with this, but a pipe cleaner can do the trick easily enough on a straight. For pipes with a bent, you may have to remove the stem. A lot of folks feel as if this is a big no-no, so if you feel that way, maybe let your pipe cool before removing the stem.

5. Finally, the way you pack and what you choose to light with in the first place all have a big impact. The former is something you get a handle of with practice, so I'm not going to be much help to you there. But the latter I can. If you're lighting with a bic torch or something similar, consider something that provides a softer flame, like sulphur-free matches. And when you relight, try to draw the flame to the tobacco as close to the tobacco without it actually touching. If your initial/false light was done well and tamped appropriately, you can usually get your pipe going without the flame from the relight actually contacting the tobacco, or if it does, only briefly. If during relights you are scorching your tobacco, then it will burn hot, cadence be damned.

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
I first want to thank you all for your suggestions and input. You all had very good points. I believe I have found the main culprit. From what I can remember it started about the time it started to get hot which meant that I had the overhead fans on. Actually, I should have figured this one out to start with. Seeing that the pipe was getting hot on the top of bowl should have been an obvious clue. Second, although AC should have fixed any humidity issues, I think being here in North Carolina where the humidity is high in the summer might have something to do with it. Finally, it may be that my pipes haven't had a very good cleaning in a long while. I haven't completely solved the issue, but it is better. Thank you again to you all for your suggestions and help.