PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I wrestled with this for years. Years I say... I bought racks, cabinets, twin racks and wound up selling them all. Total Goldie locks syndrome as everything I saw or bought was always "almost" right for me, but left something lacking that my OCD just couldn't get past.

Being a woodworking hobbyist, I decided to take on the task of building my own rack, and I've not looked back once since as what I made was exactly what I saw on my eyelids while falling asleep at night. I started with the first rack pictured, which holds 104 briars, but although I accounted for "what" I wanted, I unfortunately hadn't looked down the road a ways at the frequency of my pipe purchasing habit. ...and then there was the "where do I put my pipe weed" dilemma...

Fast forward to a hell of an undertaking and I built the updated rack and matching tobacco cabinet base and spend my evenings gazing upon it. My handler also admires it and appreciates how I took a pipe habit and turned it into an attractive conversational piece in our barroom... This rack has 192 capacity, which I've filled at this point, but that is ok - it does get to a point of being over the top, even from starting out as over the top, and those pipes go into a small shelf pipe rack in the same room.

Maybe some day, I'll press the 104 pipe rack back into service, but for now, it remains in idle storage... Anyhow, I hope this gives someone an idea to solve this awful affliction from which we all suffer... :)

Cheers.

View attachment 252779

View attachment 252772View attachment 252773View attachment 252774View attachment 252775
With that kind of skill I don’t know you bothered to even buy made racks in the first place! Those are wonderful pieces!

Reactions: Nevaditude and Tate

Tate

Lifer
Sep 27, 2023
Northern Illinois
I wrestled with this for years. Years I say... I bought racks, cabinets, twin racks and wound up selling them all. Total Goldie locks syndrome as everything I saw or bought was always "almost" right for me, but left something lacking that my OCD just couldn't get past.

Being a woodworking hobbyist, I decided to take on the task of building my own rack, and I've not looked back once since as what I made was exactly what I saw on my eyelids while falling asleep at night. I started with the first rack pictured, which holds 104 briars, but although I accounted for "what" I wanted, I unfortunately hadn't looked down the road a ways at the frequency of my pipe purchasing habit. ...and then there was the "where do I put my pipe weed" dilemma...

Fast forward to a hell of an undertaking and I built the updated rack and matching tobacco cabinet base and spend my evenings gazing upon it. My handler also admires it and appreciates how I took a pipe habit and turned it into an attractive conversational piece in our barroom... This rack has 192 capacity, which I've filled at this point, but that is ok - it does get to a point of being over the top, even from starting out as over the top, and those pipes go into a small shelf pipe rack in the same room.

Maybe some day, I'll press the 104 pipe rack back into service, but for now, it remains in idle storage... Anyhow, I hope this gives someone an idea to solve this awful affliction from which we all suffer... :)

Cheers.

View attachment 252779

View attachment 252772View attachment 252773View attachment 252774View attachment 252775
Those is absolutely awesome!! Did you use any plans or did you design as well?

Reactions: Nevaditude

Jmango

Lurker
Jun 28, 2022
Thanks guys - I appreciate the comments.

@ AroEnglish - the buy vs. build thing can be tricky sometimes. The nice racks are expensive, but then when you think of the cost of red oak wood stock and other materials, it starts to cross into the multi-hundreds area. Then there is about 40-50 hours involved, which is rewarding, but can suck because at the end of the day, it is hard work so to speak.

@ Tate - no plans. I did all the design in my head starting with a general idea of what I wanted, basic requirements such as spacing between blow slots on center to accommodate fat pipes, etc... The rest of the design was done as it was being built as I wasn't sure exactly how I was going to join the shelves to the backrests to the side verticals, etc. I wound up using a combination of dado and mortise joins and am really happy with the outcome. The cabinet is a different story altogether. I had no idea when starting how I was going to design it other than wanting doors, internal lighting and a shelf, so I built the top and bottom platforms first and kinda ad hoc'd the rest of the design as I went. It took longer that way, but it was fun to add in new design ideas as I went that I had not done before, such as the decorative trim paneling and the routed edge trim lines, etc.

My wife told me I should go into business building these pieces, but at the end of the day with materials and time, I don't think I'd be operating in the black when all was said and done.

Again, thanks guys - the compliments mean a lot.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
My wife told me I should go into business building these pieces, but at the end of the day with materials and time, I don't think I'd be operating in the black when all was said and done.
And don’t forget the shipping! But I’m sure there are an few out there where money isn’t an object that would be glad to pay for the materials, time, and shipping; I wish I could be one of them 😁

Reactions: Jmango and Tate
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.

Cheers.

View attachment 252779

Always love seeing these pics come around (PSD i think?)
If I didn't already have a project in the making, this would been my project. Though maybe when we build a house, I could see myself incorporating this into "my room". Just a beautiful display

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
...a built in for pipes. brilliant. I can already see it on "This Old House" :)
My parents house was on that show! Steve Thomas spent the weekend at our house and they did their thing. This had to be in the late 90s. It's been in other magazines since. I'm shocked anyone actually remembers that show!
But yeah, your rack has been inspiring to say the least.

Jmango

Lurker
Jun 28, 2022
My parents house was on that show! Steve Thomas spent the weekend at our house and they did their thing. This had to be in the late 90s. It's been in other magazines since. I'm shocked anyone actually remembers that show!
But yeah, your rack has been inspiring to say the leas
Yea, awareness of that show might be telling in ones age... Also appreciate the compliment on my rack... I don't get that often... Wait. What are we talking about again? ;)