PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Does anyone stores pipe in drawer unit? Thinking of building one and wanted to see if any already exist.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Nope. Briefly used standard metal filing cabinets, but they were too capacious & immobile (I live in a Red Flag Fire Zone). Now I have several plastic bins with furloughed pipes in pipe socks or their original boxes.
For ideas, do web searches on "map cabinets", "library file card cabinets", & "apothecary cabinets"; select Images to see photos.
I'm considering getting a Tool Chest for pipes awaiting refurbishing & refinishing supplies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Here's what I've use for the last forty years. I inherited this oak file cabinet from my great uncle in 1969 when I bought his house after his passing. Not sure what it was used for, but I have a lot of stuff stored in it. However I have 4 drawers dedicated to pipes. One for US pipes, one for Italian pipes, one for English/Irish pipes, and one for whatever's left. (French, Danish, Meers and what not. It's in my photo darkroom which I haven't used in about 4 years, but it is climate controlled. They get thoroughly dried out for a couple of days after smoking before getting put in the drawers. Never had a problem, but then it's hardly air tight.

fullsizeoutput_1edb-437x600.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Drawers, flat files, etc are an excellent way to store your pipes. I have mine in fitted cases, each set up to hold between 15 and 21 pipes. I got mine a few years ago off of eBay. They don't show up very often.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Not sure why these are loading sideways..
img_0218-600x400.jpg

img_0220-600x400.jpg

I have since lined them with a dark red felt.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Here are some pictures of the best pipe storage drawers I’ve seen in person. Too bad it is nearly impossible to have them made for home use. Believe me, I’ve tried.
The Danish Pipe Shop. Best setup I’ve seen. Fantastic pull out drawers with custom slots and glass tops with track lighting.

MCmjaid.jpg

qzlBY6n.jpg

sqUdR7U.jpg

Novelli (Rome). Marco has wonderful drawers. Also note the great cabinet drawers along the wall.

9Rdw9ef.jpg

D8HK7L2.jpg

8Zysd1J.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
wv
@npod

Love that DPS set up. If I ever hit the lottery.
I switched from racks to drawers a couple years ago. I think it preserves the pipes much better.
I have an 8 drawer tool cabinet for pipes and for my mason jars.

themitch

Lurker
Jan 16, 2019
Siena
@dave g that's a treasure chest, not a drawer! Sorry for being curious, but what pipes are the one at the bottom with silver band, looking a bit like a Savinelli 101, and the little straight spigot at the utmost right?

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I picked up a Bisley Cabinet, based off of another thread here a couple of months ago. Heavy duty, sturdy, and it works just fine for me.
pipedrawer2-337x600.jpg

pipedrawer1-337x600.jpg

Reactions: Ralle P
Status
Not open for further replies.