PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Members cursing other members, man how many times could you possibly stick your foot in your mouth in the same day, lol.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I'm not concerned I have seen your type before. You will eventually get caught out. Next time I'll screen shot your post before you can edit it. You remind me a lot of a guy that used to sell Meershaum pipes here. Took awhile but his true colours were found out too. Amazing and you have only been here for a week.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
So far, the only real stigma that I've run into personally has been my wife's concern with cancer (which I've done my best to assuage) and her distaste for certain "mustache notes" (particularly English blends, but also Sir Walter Raleigh). Even my most anti-smoking friends were the ones who pointed out a vendor carrying churchwardens at the Ren Faire.
On the other hand, I also don't smoke around my anti-smoking friends, and I do attempt to sit downwind of my wife when we're out on the back porch. I'm still an occasional smoker, and I tend to make an occasion out of my limited opportunities, so I have not yet gotten in the habit of carrying my accoutrements with me all the time, in case an opportunity presents itself. Once this changes, I expect that I may open myself to some gawking - though once you've appeared in public wearing a kilt and a top hat with goggles, getting a ration for pipe smoking is probably not going to be that big a deal to me. :D

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Right up until they see the Skean Dhus, then the laughing stops.
Well, much as I hate to admit it, many of the events I wear my kilt to have weapons policies - so I carry a "Sgian Bru" to those instead.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Sorry to revive this thread but I couldn't resist. A friend of a friend of my wife's updated her Facebook status last night:
Buddy just rode by on a skateboard. Long hair. Plaid shirt. Smoking a pipe. A real pipe. He just made my day. There's to you my pipe smoking neighbour.
When this person found out (via my wife and her friend's frantic texting) that it was me she added this:
That is the sweetest person I've seen in a long time.
Perhaps there is hope for our passion yet. At the very least it's further proof that chicks dig pipes. :puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@saintpeter: Those songs/videos are hilarious...especially Fighting Trousers. :rofl: I’m glad there are young hipsters such as yourself here to bring such things to my attention.

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
I think irwinmetro makes a terrific point. If the nostalgic and cool factors draw potential pipe smokers to our hobby, what's the harm? Even if some people ("hipsters" included) don't take to pipes as most of us have, don't their attempts make pipes more visible and potentially cross-generational? Personally, I don't quite get the anti-hipster biases I've detected, especially when it comes to smoking pipes. If a person who fits a certain age demographic, surrounds himself with like-minded friends, participates in certain kinds of social habits, dresses in a certain way chooses to try a pipe (and maybe even learn to love it), shouldn't we welcome him (or her)? I've crossed paths with other customers in local pipe shops who might fit some of these profile characteristics and who were deeply interested in pipes and tobaccos. A few of them have impressed me with how well acquainted they were with the hobby; I also appreciate their eagerness to share it with their friends. The guys who were new to pipes have understandably seemed a little uncertain at first. I know I was awkward with my pipe as a teenager and 20-something guy (weren't most of us?). Nonetheless, I haven't met a newcomer to the hobby who wasn't really interested in learning how to handle a pipe or how enjoy it over the long term. I think it's a good thing that younger people are showing an interest in pipes and pipe smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.