PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I still fail to see how this is a bad thing.
Personally, I don’t really consider it to be bad or good...just can’t relate much...but then I’ve never been very hip. Kudos to you though on sticking with it...but I would venture to guess that you are probably the exception. I’m thinking that the majority who start in that category will probably not explore and experience the fullness of what tobacco pipe smoking really is and stick with it. But then I could be wrong.
Also, your description of how you started sounds to me a bit more toward the conventional side than the “hipster movement” that has been described by others.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I really don't care for hipsters for a number of reasons.
However, if they smoke a pipe, I'd probably dislike them a little less.
Never noticed a stigma, bit when I smoke, I am blissfully unaware of most of the bs around me, which is why I smoke in the first place.. I smoke my pipe all the time in public, because I smoke my pipe all the time.
I had 4 pipes with me when I first met my beautiful wife, in a bag with a bunch of tobacco almost 6 years ago. Pipes are good luck, and ladies love them!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
It should be noted that contemporary "hipsters" are defined less by "free love" and their political stance, and more by the fact That they just enjoy vintage stuff. "Hipster" is not another word for "hippy".

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It should be noted that contemporary "hipsters" are defined less by "free love" and their political stance, and more by the fact That they just enjoy vintage stuff. "Hipster" is not another word for "hippy".
This seems to be getting more, rather than less, confusing. Speaking only for myself of course, but I did not perceive the hipster reference to be anything like hippies (which is something I can relate to, to some degree) ... but I also did not think it had anything to do with “enjoying vintage stuff”. Oh well...probably better I don’t try to figure it out...I must just be getting old.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I live in Austin, which has a good number of hipsters. I'm noticing more of them smoking pipes, and while I really dislike them (it's prob. just a generational thing), I do like the idea that it helps the cause of differentiating luxury tobacco products vs. cigarettes in the eyes of the anti-smoker crowd. The more people who are even slightly educated about premium tobacco, and are seen smoking a pipe vs a cigarette the better in my opinion - even if they are of the douchebaggery persuasion.
Hipster pics to help clairify:

stock-photo-12851961-hipster-in-glasses-smoking-a-pipe.jpg

Beiber pipe fever?

tumblr_lsije8Ps4w1qktpa2o1_500.png

AND ESPECIALLY THIS ONE...wow.
tumblr_mbqpy0CJLr1r2inzfo1_500.jpg

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I'm 55, worked hard, do as I please. Bonus is my grandsons think granny is cool.

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
I get looks but much of it is "wow someone actually smoking a pipe" rather than gauking. I guess because i "look" normal that it surprises them more, I'm not a hipster, don't have a beard or a mustache, and wear normail clothes. I always try not to smoke when there are children around though. As a smoker we have a responsibility on when and where we smoke imho.

effektor

Might Stick Around
Aug 4, 2013
I tend not to smoke in public simply because I don't have much opportunity to. I am aware of the D-bag hipster affectation connection, and would like to avoid the connection. There is not caring what people think, and then there is alienating people because they confuse you with a certain undesirable subculture. :lol: This isn't an issue past a certain age, but I'm not there yet... at least people don't think so. So like fedoras, people may assume you are "one of those guys"
I do think one important distinction should be made. People don't dislike the pipe in those cases, it is the person they think they see. The stigma isn't about the pipe, it's about hipsters. :lol:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I took up the pipe at about 40. I had smoke cigars for many years, but the cost was high. I bought a pipe for smoking cigar nubs(terrible results). But something about the pipe rang true with me and I started down that road. I am glad I did.

Aug 14, 2012
Much ado about nothing. Hipster pipe movement? Never heard of it. Old ladies don't like it? Who gives a darn?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
FWIW, I hear what you're saying dannybeans. I also refrain from smoking too openly. However, I give major props to those who don't give a damn, but I'm the type that doesn't like to draw attention to himself. So if I smoke in public (not often), I don't make a show of it.
As he steps outside, a man pulls out a cigarette, lights it up and takes a drag. A woman who had been standing outside pipes up "You know smoking shortens your life expectancy."

The man looks at her, takes another drag and replies "My granddaddy lived to the age of 96."

"Oh," said the woman "And did he smoke his entire life?"

"No," the man replied "he knew how to mind his own f**king business."
lol!

leg59

Lurker
Jul 6, 2013
Greenville, SC
My coworkers seem to find it hilarious that I smoke a pipe, and the jests just keep on coming, mostly of the "What are you REALLY smoking?" variety.

I just keep on puffing. Now if I could just convince the wife to let me smoke in the house...

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
This is my opinion only. I never ever smoke anything in public, my beloved pipe,cigarette,cigar. I'm not out there to try and look cool while smoking. Smoking around groups of people that don't smoke, are in a smoking environment in my opinion is just very disrespectful Also smoking is very unhealthy and I don't want the first kid thinking to there-self that looks neat, that guy look cool, I wanna do that when I get older. No way no how. I have 4 girls and they have never seen me smoke my beloved pipe are cigar are cigarette. I always smoke in my private layer only. I smoke for my private enjoyment, . If out in public for long amounts of time and I need some nicotine I always carry nicotine gum.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Love the briar might I suggest you find a new place to troll your negative comments about our hobby. If you are so offended by what we do that you compare it to urinating in the street you are in the wrong place. You are entitled to your opinion by all means, but I come here to share a hobby with others who enjoy it and not to hear the same drivel that can be heard on any street corner these days. Mods please reconsider this persons membership here. I believe we have an anti-smoking troll in our midst. Gents anyone else agree?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I don't understand this hipster hate today. I'm sure in the beginning I looked like a hipster trying to look cool because I had no idea what I was doing. Unlike cigar and cigaretts, there is a large learning curve when starting out as a pipe smoker. If people are new to the hobby, and are still in the learning stages, does that make them annoying hipster who doesn't know what he is talking about?

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Interesting how your original post has been watered down and edited since the first post! All of a sudden it's beloved pipe. No more comments about what a vile habit it is???

Status
Not open for further replies.